Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD not working (in known working circuit)??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

I just bought a 20x4 LCD on ebay (**broken link removed**) advertised to use an HD44780. I just recently got around to testing to see it work, and it doesn't! I placed it in a circuit that i know works, and even tested it with another 20x4 HD44780 LCD, and the circuit works great. But the new lcd i bought just displays gibberish!

I'm really not sure what the problem could be? Does anyone have an explanation for why 2 HD44780's wouldn't work in the same circuit? Maybe i'm over looking something...

here is their ebay page i actually bought it from.

**broken link removed**

Quite good feeback.

**broken link removed**

1. price $88 (88 dollars). sort of supernatural 10x price. for a reason?

2. using graphics which have the logo from a chinese company. under license? are they an official franchise of sure electronics?

3. distorted America flags. it just does not look nice.

4. same items as sure electronics but 200% price. normal commission is 20% to 50%.

I do not complain but they won't atttract many customers having such unprofessional appearance.

**broken link removed**
very fraudulent:

Do Not Purchase... Item Description Not Complete... ... Your Homeland Electronics Store... ... FCB Electronics...... Ann Arbor, Michigan... ... All FCB items ship from USA.... Fastest shipment to all of North America and Europe... ( See My Feedback "Fastest Shipper" )...... 100 pcs 5mm Four (4) Colors LED... Red , White, Blue &...

**broken link removed**
819.99 dollars

Some of the more modern chips are much faster than the original Hitachi chip and so they will work with shorter delays in the initialisation and write routines. If your new display requires the original timing parameters then it may work if you increase the delays in your code.

Mike.

Last edited:
Some of the more modern chips are much faster than the original Hitachi chip and so they will work with shorter delays in the initialisation and write routines. If your new display requires the original timing parameters then it may work if you increase the delays in your code.

Mike.

Thanks. I'll increase the delays and see if that works.

Well i solved the problem purely by accident...

I needed to use the interrupt pins (atmega16), so i moved the LCD from PORTD to PORTC, and the LCD magically worked! Turns out on my development board i had the RX and TX jumpers connected to the MAX232 and that was somehow interfering with the new lcd, but not the old lcd. Very simple mistake :(

It's working like a champ now ;)

Thanks all for the help! it was greatly appreciated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back