Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Frequency Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfernoJaffa

Hi everyone!

I have a project that i need help on starting.

I have a flow transducer that outputs a frequency range which changes at different water flow rates.

I would like to convert this frequency output into a litre/minute calculation on a LCD display.

I am a novice, any tips or directions? Any help is welcome!

If you check the EPE website, they have published a number of counter projects, or MicroChip have an appnote for a frequency counter.

Hi Nigel,
Thanks for your reply, I have looked at the microchip appnote using a PIC16C54 and found that the source code snippet is written in assembly language. I have done little assembly at college but feel that the C language would be a wiser choice for me. I also tried searching for the EPE website you had mentioned and found a site called EPEMag, was this the one you meant? I couldn't find much on that website.

I have found other projects using an Atmel chip with easy to understand source codes although programming the chip will not be easy. I would like to design the PCB board to include on-board programming as this will be easier to reprogram in the future (this should be a simple addition at the end).

The PIC chips I used at college were PIC16F84A and were programmed in assembly language.

Edit: I have learnt that I can connect the frequency directly to timer1 and measure the counts over a 1 second period. I can then take the value from timer 1 and calculate and display the flow rate.

I have attached a flow chart of what I would like the PIC to do.View attachment 61806

Can anyone suggest a good PIC to use, I have found the PIC 16F874 with Timer1 function although it seems to have more features then I need (40Pins).

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me the difference between these two PICs:
PIC16F887-I/P 20MHz - £1.89
PIC16F877A-I/P 20MHz - £4.09

I have chosen the PIC16F877A but in terms of cost the difference is 'noticeable'.

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two PICs:
PIC16F887-I/P 20MHz - £1.89
PIC16F877A-I/P 20MHz - £4.09

I have chosen the PIC16F877A but in terms of cost the difference is 'noticeable'.

The 877A is a very old device, similar to the 16F84A - modern devices are MUCH cheaper, presumably to encourage people to stop using the antique ones :D

Presumably the 887 is the modern replacement for the 877?.

The 877A is a very old device, similar to the 16F84A - modern devices are MUCH cheaper, presumably to encourage people to stop using the antique ones :D

Presumably the 887 is the modern replacement for the 877?.
Thanks for confirming this, so I should be fine in using the newer chip as a replacement without any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back