Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD display controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMGitsRhys

Heyy all!
Was wondering if anyone had any tutorials or could help me to make the following:

I want to be able to connect a LCD display (i.e 2 line display) to a computer (using serial?) and write a piece of software to be able to control what is displayed on the LCD panel.

I have basic electronic knowladge, just need pointers as i couldnt find a tutorial myself. Thanks All.

Rhys

The problem is the LCD is parallel and serial is well... serial, so you need something to translate the data for you, a small micro controller would work. Do a search for linux LCD modules you should find better results that way as people have connected these types of LCD's to linux modules many times.

Rhys,
if you just want to be able to view 'stuff' from your PC on a separate LCD, without a huge amount of effort (as a newbie), have a look at the links below....

The hardware:
Make your own USB LCD controller! - bit-tech.net Forums

The software:
LCD Smartie - A free open-source LCD program!

I did this project in roughly 1 - 1 1/2 hours quite recently, on a breadboard.

You will need:
Hex file for the PIC (provided in the 1st link) + mchpcdc.inf file (also provided)
PIC18F2550
A way to program the above
4Mhz crystal & 2 x 22pF caps
100uF, 0.22uF & 0.1uF caps
10K & 4.7K resistors
5K pot
BC184L transistor (most small signal NPN will work - watch for pinout though)
A HD47780 compatible LCD
USB B socket & A to B lead
Breadboard & jumper leads
Some patience...
Please ignore the A-Team lash-up on the USB socket. :D

Attachments

• 100_0228.JPG
    100_0228.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 234
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads