Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lawn Sprinkler Timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

VegasMonkey

I am trying to design a one time programmable lawn sprinkler controller to trigger on/off 24V 750ma lawn sprinkler valves. A set and forget sprinkler timer that once the time/date are set, it does the rest.

The project needs to allow for programming on/off time for 7 days per week during summer months and switch to a "winter" program during fall/winter months. Once the timer program is set, it will never change for the life of the sprinkler system (so I need a calendar of 10-20 years).

Any ideas on what ICs to start with to get the calendar, 24 hour timer, and triggers?

Has anyone done this already and willing to share circuit design?

Have you done a search in this forum for "water timer", "sprinkler system", etc.?
I think the subject has been raised before.

I intend to do one in a year or 2 (once I'm free of other jobs) using a PIC.

I may also include a burglar alarm and garage door opener.

Would you also require calculated sunrise and sunset times based on location (lat/lon) data? How many individual 24v/750ma sprinkler valves, or, could the controller drive a single relay which would turn on/off all sprinkler valves? Program it via built-in push buttons and LCD display or via connection to a PC?

Typical sprinkler controllers only turn one valve on at a time. Not only does it save current but often the zones are configured so that there's only enough water flow for one zone at a time.

You don't need a calendar, you need a photocell. Winter is easily distinguished from summer (assuming a latitude where there's a difference) by the difference in the average daylight times. Similarly, since cloudy (and rainy) weather should influence the watering schedule, the photocell will also help this. If you need a schedule with a weekly synchronization (i.e. never water on Sundays) then divide by seven. A thermistor and/or humidity sensor might help with the watering algorithm.

User would select increase/decrease per zone to compensate for water requirements.

Chip suggestions: ATTiny15, ATmega48/88, LPC2101.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back