Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser Arcylic cutting by pololu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin094

While searching the internet for a company to custom cut acrylic pieces for a robot arm
I ran across this company. https://www.pololu.com/laser_cutting.html
There prices seam to be really reasonable. Has anyone had any experience with them?
Does anyone now of any other companies that will laser cut acrylic for a resonable price?

The arm is part of a senior design project for my last year in college. The attached picture
is of the robots current form. The arm will have a gripper on it. I am looking to get the
gripper design and the arm laser cut from acrylic or some similer material.

Thanks to all who reply. :D

Attachments

• puma.jpg
    puma.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 361
Kingpin -- Almost any up-to-date trophy/award shop, i.e. one who is equipped with a laser engraver, can do what you want done. The site that you linked is a well-known job shop in Vegas, and they use Epilog lasers there. The other popular machines used in most shops come from Universal Laser Systems. Both of these manufacturers provide high-quality CO2 lasers to the awards industry as well as to many other industiries. I service (and on occasion sell) both lines of machines through arrangements with local distributors in my area, so I am very familiar with both lines.

Of the two, the ULS machines are slightly more capable when it comes to vector cutting, although the current production Epilogs now certainly do a more than adequate job as well.

In your immediate area, **broken link removed** shows Award Masters Inc. to be a local shop. While I am not directly familiar with them, it's a safe bet that they have laser equipment there. If not, the **broken link removed** feature should help you find others nearby.

It is a good idea to find a local awards shop rather than a specialized laser job shop because of price and turnaround considerations. Using a local shop gives you the ability to interact directly with the shop instead of having to work things via mail-order or the web.

As to drawing types, the vast majority of shops out there work with CorelDraw!, and can thus use a CorelDraw! .CDR file or one of the various vector-format files that can be imported into CorelDraw!. While it is possible to run these machines from Autocad, many shops will simply not have that application available.

If you find a local shop to work with and need help in getting a drawing ready for cutting, I'd be happy to help you with that. If you want a direct referral to an engraving shop. I'd be happy to recommend one here in the Northeast, though as I already stated, you'd likely be best served by a local shop. Any shop listed in ARA should be a reputable and competitive shop.

Let me know if you need more info...

laser cutters, water jet cutters, cnc machines, even standard
engravers using spindle.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back