Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Joule-Thief LED torch

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahulan999

Hi,
Today I have started building this joule-thief LED torch :), but got stuck on the toroid section. I dont know how to wind it. The secondary should be on on top of the primary or both are wound on opposite sides? I got a core from an old SMPS.

http://www.geocities.com/lemagicien_2000/elecpage/ledtorch/ledtorch.html

How rf is generated on a toroid? What is the difference between a toroid and a normal inductor?

**broken link removed**

Short how-to video

**broken link removed**

PDF version

I've made several from these, and they work great, very simple to follow instructions.

The toroid is super easy, and doesn't even need to be done neatly. I haven't attempted one of those super small ones though, I have 1/2 inch cores. Suggest you do at least one on the larger core, just to see how simple.

Hi from a noob :eek:P

Thanks for that link :)
I have a box full of dead batteries and I thought since awhile to used them until they are really dead ... until now I only found that circuit but no explanations on what happen with the transformer, I was scratching my head to understand ... now I might understand :)

Ya. That video shows the toroid winding clearly. From there I got the link of talking electronics - where some neat circuits are presented with good description.
http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/LEDTorchCircuits/LEDTorchCircuits-P1.html

Now I'm thinking what a hell are the old current eating incandescent lamps!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back