Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

It's is not alternate energy but like to build one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thunderchild said:
and what monitor do you have ?

Just to spell it out to the disbeleiving people that practically called me a liar:

My dads 17" CRT said in the instructions 105 W
My new 19" flat screen in the instructions says 42 W so there you have it straight from the mouth of the manufacturer now am I a liar ?

Have you measured what they take?, the LCD will take the same current all the time (dependent on the back light setting), the CRT will vary considerably depending on beam current.

CRTs use less with a black background and more with a white background. That is why some people were trying to get Google to turn their background to black, save energy.

As far as LCDs being much more efficient than CRTs, of course they are. I can't believe some of you are even arguing that. Some of you are stating how much power it consumes by what the power supply is rated at? Come on, that is complete BS! The power that power supply uses depends on it's load. I really thought better of some of you...

As far as turning off computers, it is a good idea. But if you need the super quick boot time, put it to sleep. I have an intel iMac and it uses 3 watts (via Kill-A-Watt) when it is sleeping. This is the same amount of power it uses when it is off, since it is not completely unplugged when it is off (digital on switch). So I just have my computer set to goto sleep after 10 minutes of no use, and if I am going to be gone for the weekend I unplug all of my stuff so it draws no extra current.

Fred.Amoson said:
As far as LCDs being much more efficient than CRTs, of course they are. I can't believe some of you are even arguing that.

Like I've been saying, MEASURE them and compare. You can't blindly assume that all CRT's use more power than all LCD's - this isn't true!. Modern TV's have been using less and less current as they developed over the last 10 or 20 years, and many use LESS power than similar sized LCD ones. The TV on peak while may use more, but the LCD takes full power all the time, on average some CRT's beat some LCD's.

I have measured, as I have both LCDs and CRTs. What you are saying is not accurate.

If you insist that it is, show me a source that shows that CRTs use even close to the same amount of power as an LCD of the same size.

Fred.Amoson said:
I have measured, as I have both LCDs and CRTs. What you are saying is not accurate.

So you've measured every CRT set and LCD set there is?, I think it's more likely you've measured the incredibly small sample you have access to! :D

Correct, but my (limited, I admit) tests agree with the original assumption that LCDs consume much less power. As does every other test I have heard on the matter... still waiting for your source. :)

Fred.Amoson said:
Correct, but my (limited, I admit) tests agree with the original assumption that LCDs consume much less power. As does every other test I have heard on the matter... still waiting for your source. :)

My only source was the sets I tested at work a couple of years ago, I would like to do some more on the newer LCD sets (no new CRT's to test any more!) - but my true RMS meter doesn't work on AC any more :(

It's pointless trying a meter that's not true RMS - I did tests with a scope a few months back, the current drawn from the mains isn't anything like a sinewave!.

well I was previosly asked to state what the manufacturers say now you want me to measure it again. PEOPLE GROW UP. as for modern TV they still use 35 W for a 15" screen so forget it. I think they should have outlawed the CRT by now even if only for its weight and carrying cost and don't call me nuts because there was one bright spark that decided a solar panel takes more to make than it produces in it's life time, I am astounded at the IGNORANCE and stupidity of many members here we are after all supposed to have a technical background of some sorts yet many seem to cling to such stupid myths

Thunderchild said:
well I was previosly asked to state what the manufacturers say now you want me to measure it again. PEOPLE GROW UP. as for modern TV they still use 35 W for a 15" screen so forget it. I think they should have outlawed the CRT by now even if only for its weight and carrying cost and don't call me nuts because there was one bright spark that decided a solar panel takes more to make than it produces in it's life time, I am astounded at the IGNORANCE and stupidity of many members here we are after all supposed to have a technical background of some sorts yet many seem to cling to such stupid myths

You really shouldn't tell people to grow up and then call everyone ignorant. You should at least follow your own advice. :)

Everyone here does have somewhat of a technical background, or at least wants to. None of us know everything, and many (most) of us think we know more than we really do (including myself at times). So just calm down and let everyone talk peacefully. You have no enemies here and nothing to prove, just lots to learn. BTW, I am directing this towards everyone, not just Thunderchild.

well I may not have 100 % technical proof that LCD uses less than CRT as I don't have AC amp meters etc. they are not easy to find here in Italy and I don't have a lot of need for them and so don't want to spend the money but I have been able to prove that LCD is more efficient than CRT perhaps I cannot make a definit percentage rekoning all i know is there is a big energy saving my basic measurements have been able to at least determine that yet I have still being practically called a liar and people have convincing said that CRT uses less than LCD well what more can I say. if somebody would like to send me the equipment i will carry out acurate measurements and let you know.....

Thunderchild said:
well I may not have 100 % technical proof that LCD uses less than CRT as I don't have AC amp meters etc. they are not easy to find here in Italy and I don't have a lot of need for them and so don't want to spend the money but I have been able to prove that LCD is more efficient than CRT perhaps I cannot make a definit percentage rekoning all i know is there is a big energy saving my basic measurements have been able to at least determine that yet I have still being practically called a liar and people have convincing said that CRT uses less than LCD well what more can I say.

No one has made anything like such an assertion! - get a grip!.

You just made a blanket claim that ALL LCD uses less current than ALL CRT sets - yet you've then said that you've no way of measuring it, and certainly have never compared more than a VERY tiny sample.

All I've said is that this isn't always true, SOME CRT sets use less current than SOME LCD's, and the converse is true in some cases as well.

well as you didn't want to consider different measuring methods as comparable no I don't have a 100 % acurate method. but if i test a CRT on a refurbished electric board meter and it reads 100 w and then measure the DC amperage usage of a LCD that reads 1.4 A with 12 v supply so something like 18 W cmon you got to admit to a difference, I might not be able to say ok 100/18 = the efficiency difference but give me credit there is a huge difference there no mistake. oh and the CRT had a random image a general mixture of colour so don't come and say ooh it must have been all white.

Fred.Amoson said:
I'm interested on people's opinions/theories on that device also. I would think if it did what it says, everyone would have one.
and
Nigel Goodwin said:
Most of them are a scam, and usually just a crude power correction device.

That was my thought too. I can't see how any gadget like this can work especially with such thin wires, unless it corrects the PF on CFLs in which case it's a chocolate teapot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back