Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this possible than turning on oven make a 1 second power outage in home? ( playing diablo 1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

sew333

Hi.Have an question. It is possible that when turning on oven make a 0,5-1second power spike,without tripping fuse or breaker? I ask because when my mother in kitchen turned on oven,diablo 1 crashed to desktop on my old laptop. Nothing get tripped etc,lights not. So it was coincedence that game crashed in this moment or not?

Laptop not restarted i just saw STEAM icon like always and desktop ,when i back.

Event viewer said that:"A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Steam Client"
"the service did not respond to start or control request timeline fashion "

Also i was on balcony in this time.

ps:
Diablo 1 is from GOG not steam.

Crashed to desktop sounds more like it might have been messing with the WiFi more than a "1 second power outage".

Don't know why Steam losing the internet would cause GOG Diablo to crash.

Ask your mom to turn on the oven again a few times. Sample size of 1 doesn't tell you anything.

We tried 4 times turning oven when diablo 1 was running. Nothing happened. Also steam was running fine. But steam is only background. Diablo 1 is standalone not from Steam.

Turning an oven on adds an extra fairly high wattage, and assuming it happened at the peak of the mains, it could quite possibly cause a mains glitch enough to crash a computer.

Laptops have batteries so power outages don't matter. Most likely coincidence.

Mike.

30000 milliseconds is 30 seconds. sounds more like a network problem than a power problem. it could have been anything from your ISP resetting your connection to some problem on the Steam server. i know my ISP resets my ip address once in a while, sometimes while i'm doing something online like watching a video. if you need to check stats on your connection, as well as the current external (the "internet" side of your modem) ip address, take a look at https://ifconfig.me/ if you are running a linux machine, you could write a script using "curl ifconfig.me" to inform you when your external ip address changes, as well as keep a log of ip address changes. a typical residential connection gets an ip address reset about once a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back