Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this hearing aid battery an over the counter battery?

gary350

If I push out the metal pin will the plastic case open up? If I can open the case I should be able to see the battery. Batteries are 3 years old they only hold a charge for 7 hrs. now not 16 hrs. like the once did. Hearing aid company wants $600 to replace 2 batteries.

101_8962.JPG

I'd suggest googleing for videos - I'm sure someone has hacked it by now. Make sure to include brand and model number in your search.

I'd suggest googleing for videos - I'm sure someone has hacked it by now. Make sure to include brand and model number in your search.

NO videos for tamper proof rechargeable TruHearing aids. I removed the 2 pins case opened and there are 8 turns of enamel coated copper wire around the rechargeable battery. Circuit board is glued in. About 1/4 of the 8 turn coil is glued in also.

Last edited:
After opening what do you plan to do? Have you managed to buy the replacement batteries?
I have learned gold color batteries are rechargeable. Not sure I can replace the battery with out destroying the hearing aid the inside is white cement. I can see battery and 8 turn coil of wire.

Last edited:
Rechargeable pairs are avail. ~45~55$usd but varies with quality and Vbat 1.2 to 3.7.
It would help if you verified the compatibility.
Avoiding deep discharge daily is the way to reduce degradation.
Wire bonding may be ultrasonic (cold-weld) or spot weld.
You can practice on the old battery with AWG30+ then add gorilla glue for strain relief.

Rechargeable pairs are avail. ~45~55$usd but varies with quality and Vbat 1.2 to 3.7.
It would help if you verified the compatibility.
Avoiding deep discharge daily is the way to reduce degradation.
Wire bonding may be ultrasonic (cold-weld) or spot weld.
You can practice on the old battery with AWG30+ then add gorilla glue for strain relief.
I have learned enough to know when to stop. I will pay $600 for both hearing aid to be repaired. Last time they claimed they be ready in 1 week but it was 3 weeks.

There is are Chinese electronic repair shops in Markham, On in the Chinese Mall that will do it in 1 hr for probably $100.

There is are Chinese electronic repair shops in Markham, On in the Chinese Mall that will do it in 1 hr for probably $100.
What kind of responsibility do they take if the hearing aid is damaged or non-functional after the repair? If none, I'll also do it for $100 up front. Regardless of the outcome.

What kind of responsibility do they take if the hearing aid is damaged or non-functional after the repair? If none, I'll also do it for $100 up front. Regardless of the outcome.
They have great experience and can repair all mobiles. Buyers can ask about guarantees. Don't assume.

If you prefer Zinc cells, they need air for 24 hrs to reach 2.4V.
If you want rechargeable , due diligence makes more sense than blind faith

Due Diligence means you ask TruHearing why your battery life is reduced so fast. Then why is it so expensive to replace a rechargeable battery that costs less than $50 Cdn.

TruHearing, Inc.
12936 Frontrunner Blvd #100
Draper, UT 84020
Phone: 1-800-334-1807
My hearing aids are 3 years old. When they were new battery life was about 20 hours every day they recharge in 3 hours. 3 years later battery life was 16 hours. Another 3 months later battery life is 10 hours. 1 month later battery life is 8 hour. 1 month later battery life is 6 hours. Now battery only holds a charge 5 hours I have to charge them 2 times every day. Battery slowly goes bad about every 3 year hearing aid company probably has it planed that way so they can sell you new hearing aids every 3 years.

I understand. Don't tell me, tell TruHearing and tell them what cell brand you have and the obvious questions.

just because it's a discount hearing add company doesn't mean physics and chemistry dont also apply to their better known competitors' products. Even my iPad has shorter life now than when new. Who cares - it's a fact of life. Buy a new one, pay to change the batteries, live with the short battery charge - it happens to everyone every day - everyone makes decisions every day to address it (or not). If you're going to be disappointed over it or angry about it, face it, your life must be pretty good if a battery makes you angry or disappointed.

just because it's a discount hearing add company doesn't mean physics and chemistry dont also apply to their better known competitors' products. Even my iPad has shorter life now than when new. Who cares - it's a fact of life. Buy a new one, pay to change the batteries, live with the short battery charge - it happens to everyone every day - everyone makes decisions every day to address it (or not). If you're going to be disappointed over it or angry about it, face it, your life must be pretty good if a battery makes you angry or disappointed.

I'm not loosing sleep over it but my wife is. Wife found a place that advertised hearing aids for $300. she has been nagging me for 2 weeks so we went there today. After the free hearing test they built 2 demos that work excellent but price is $4000. not $300, and $1000. extra for rechargeable batteries.

I will send my hearing aids in for repair price will be $600. minus $90 I already paid for the new amplifier for the right ear. I can do without hearing aids for a week. Our insurance pays for 90% of the bill. I think TNcare plus Humana both pay that is why we only have to pay about 10% of the bill but there is a limit I think its $1600. or $1800. total. Wife takes care of the bills.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back