Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR Remote Light Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay ran into a problem. I think this is what you were saying earlier about the relay not turning off. When I turn the light switch off and on fast and don't touch the ir remote, the light bulb sometimes doesn't go off until I flip the switch and extra time. I was just wondering if this is normal. It only happens when I flick the light switch on and off fast, otherwise under normal operating circumstances it works great. I think this is because the electromechanical relay is slow. I have the 3 way switch hooked up to the nc and no terminals on the relay, common on the switch is sent to the light bulb.

When the voltage is removed from the relay coil the current through the coil begins to decay. Just like a pull in time the relay has, as you mentioned, a dropout time. That time period is a function of the relay. Using a SSR may be an option to reduce or decrease the dropout time or in the case of a SSR the turn off time. Anyway, you have it as it is likely because of the drop out time for the relay used. A Google of Relay dropout time should help explain everything involved. Additionally the data sheet for the relay you are using may cover things like pull in and dropout times.

**broken link removed**

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back