Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR computer connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

Ok, I recently built a null modem cable to network my Windows 98 and XP computers together. (Serial, not parallel) But, they are on opposite ends of the house. (The two computers.) So my cable runs through the house, one, being and eye-sore, and two, being very easy to trip on. So, I can't keep in there all the time. So I need to build an IR communication. I need it to be reliable, capable of 115200 bp, and to be able to transmit at least 50 feet or so. Can anyone help me please? Thanks.

Electric Rain :)

If your computers are on opposite ends of your house, I don't IR is the way to go.Try a Wireless Area Network(such as linksys or microsoft).They are reliable and range is excellent.And usually fairly cheap(Almost always a deal or a rebate going on) I set up two desktops and a laptob for $100.Also a huge speed increase over serial.

Uhhh... I don't really want to complicate things any more. Maybe the 50 ft. was a bit much. about 35 will do. :? I've also seen people use laser pointers to do their wireless neworking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back