Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ipod testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

350x

hello new here. can some tell me the basic tools i will need to test a ipod logic board.also where i can buy them.any help would be greatly appreciated.

What would be the purpose of such testing? Is this for a single unit or do you intend to test a whole batch of units?

What kind of a budget are you considering and what kind of test report are you interested in seeing?

i would like to basically be able to test ipod 5th gen generation video logic board.as i'm thinking of trying to start a small repair bussiness.where i buy broke ipods. video and maybe classic to fix for re-sale.i'm on a small start up budget.probaly 300-400.. any insite would help as im new to all this. also if any one knows of a good book on ipod diognostics and repair,that would be a great help.thank you

iPods as well as most modern electronic devices were never designed for repair. Aside from simple headphone jack re-soldering or battery replacement most of the circuitry will be looking for the part where the smoke came out.

Another problem is ordering a replacement module (LCD, main PCB, harness) will probably cost more than the unit is worth, and unless you're an authorized Apple service depot getting service manuals will be difficult.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
ipods

where can i buy the basic tools. such as testers to test a ipod video logic board?

where can i buy the basic tools. such as testers to test a ipod video logic board?
I'm guessing that there are no general purpose readily available test tools. A decent oscilliscope will run $3000-5000 for testing video outputs, and for general purpose signal tracing.

Equipment for reflow soldering and desoldering of surface mount components will easily outstrip your budget.

Do you know about ROHS 2006 and why you should not be using solder with lead in it to repair a board that was manufactured with lead free solder?

I would never buy something manufactured by an automated machine that had been hacked by hand.

Maybe the folks who manufature the boards have a custom test fixture that might cost between $500,000 and $3,000,000.

In the absence of reliable information on what the proprietary chips do, how in the world do you expect to troubleshoot and repair anything this complicated. Are you sure you can even get it apart without damaging it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back