Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inverting Dc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airskout

Hello all , I am working on a project and i've come to a roadblock. I am( just finishing university so please don't hate me ) looking for a component that can "invert" +5V to -5V . The numbers are examples but i am working with similar voltages. I haven't tried logical gates yet but might resort to . Any ideas welcome . The project is in smt so not huge components.

If you want to be really basic you could even use a 555 charge pump circuit.

Are you wanting to transfer power like this?

Alternatively is it just a signal? That would be where you have for example as signal that might be 1 to 5 V and you want to make 1 volt in give -1 V out, and 5 V in give -5 V out, and you already have any supply voltage that you want.

So small miscalculation i need it to run up to 12V cause of some displays i need to power
Ultimately i would like it to return the whole input voltage negative and to help with the answers atm i am using an LM317L capping the voltage to 10-12 V using a potentiometer with a variable input from 12-24 V and i want to be able to invert the output of the microchip to power other components

Last edited:
Are you wanting to transfer power like this?

Alternatively is it just a signal? That would be where you have for example as signal that might be 1 to 5 V and you want to make 1 volt in give -1 V out, and 5 V in give -5 V out, and you already have any supply voltage that you want.
Ultimately i would like it to return the whole input voltage negative and to help with the answers atm i am using an LM317L capping the voltage to 10-12 V using a potentiometer with a variable input from 12-24 V and i want to be able to invert the output of the microchip to power other components

Will simply using a full wave bridge work?
I have used it for 'steering' bi-polar DC to a uni-polar source as well as AC as a universal interface.
Max.

If you need any significant power, then you could use a switching regulator to get a negative voltage from a positive.
How much power do you need?

Is it a signal or is it power?

I would suggest you post EXACTLY what you're trying to do, and why, and post some schematics - I don't have the faintest clue what you're after, and every one is just making wild guesses.

Some info:
**broken link removed**
100ma is on the high end current wise.
From what you said I'd be putting a simple smps together, however thats a reasonably demanding task.
This circuit generates a negative o/p:
Again not reccomended unless you have some experience.
As Nige says more info will lead to a better answer.

Last edited:
would that chip work to keep a high side mosfet on continuous?
To keep a high side N-Channel FET on?

If the voltages are appropriate and you configure it in voltage doubler mode, it should be suitable - you could generate eg. 15V above the main circuit positive supply.

If the supply is higher than 18V, possibly put a 15V zener across the IC with positive direct and a resistor for the negative input?

I would suggest you post EXACTLY what you're trying to do, and why, and post some schematics - I don't have the faintest clue what you're after, and every one is just making wild guesses.
Alright tomorrow i will post more info of the project so you can help me more i guess but you are already helping guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back