Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Intruder detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

pondmeadow

Hello,
I own a piece of property with a very nice antique house. Property is unoccupied, no electricity. I have vandals that are stealing, destroying and generally tearing the house apart. I like to catch them. I tried game cameras but they also disappear .... due to them being detectable because of "visible" light. Are there cameras that do not emit light? or is there possibly a better option? Like to have the Camera working about a week at a time. Could possibly hook up a car battery ..??!! Distance from camera to perpetrators is also an issue ... game cameras usually are for close distance. Ideas ??
Werner

Welcome, pondmeadow!

Most (all, I think) digital cameras are sensitive to InfraRed light. Why not put out infrared lights (or an array of infrared LEDs) for your game (or other) cams?

Thanks for the come-back. Should have mentioned it earlier, but all previous cameras were IR cameras. Trouble is when they activate, the IR LEDs glow red and can easily be seen. That's how I lost them. Might as well have put a sign on them "" Take Me, Take Me "" . Probably need to find out if any of the available IR cameras work without any "visible" light. Thanks

There are different types of "ir" LEDs; some are still slightly visible (as you've found out), while others are not. Have a look for the latter, they will have a longer wavelength.

The light from the invisible ir source can still be detected by using a camera (on a phone, for example) obviously.

Install a few dummy cameras with wires that cannot be traced, through walls or whatever. Give the impression that the intruder is already recorded even if they destroy the camera. **broken link removed**

Back this up with a well hidden covert camera. **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Give the impression that the intruder is already recorded
Put up a prominent sign stating that they are being recorded. Might be a deterrent (if the intruders are bright enough to be able to read):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back