Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

intel 8751 microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsxwc

I work on plasma etchers at a small semiconductor plant and I've got a tool (Drytek 384T) that uses an old intel 8751 microcontroller in the RF match controller. I've never messed with programable chips before, so this is all fairly new to me. The problem is we have several identical tools but each one has different versions of software in this eprom and only one of the tools actually works well. I don't have the source code (wouldn't do me any good if I did since I'm not a programmer) so I wondered if it's possible to copy the software from one chip (like a hex dump or something like that) and use that info to program an indentical chip. The P/N on the chip is P8751BH. Also, what type of software/programmer would I need to do this if it's possible. Any information that anybody can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think the microcontroller you specified is very old and is the OTPROM version of 8051 microcontroller. That means it is one time programmable you can't put anything again into it unless it has an EPROM like window to erase it using UV light. If you want to upgrade the firmware, all you have to do it throw it and get a new equivalent device like P87C51 (all are similar and replacable). Also if the manufacturer of the tool has locked the program memory, you can't read it by any means. I doubt whether 8751 had such locking feature (can't find it datasheet), but doing it so would be illegal since it is similar to hacking/piracy.

I wouldn't doubt that those chips are that old. These tools where outdated when we got them 10 years ago. And yes, they are only programable once. We have several suppliers that specialize in very old IC's that are no longer manufactured and I think I can get several of the original intel 8751's. I talked with the manufacture tech support (LAM Research) and they didn't have any problems with copying the chips. They offered to send us a copy of the original source code, but they couldn't find it. Really, all I need to know is if it's possible to copy one of the chips. I've found a few generic "universal" chip programmers that are fairly inexpensive ($400-$800) but before I go to my boss with a purchase order, I want to be certain that this chip can be copied. Also, if anybody has a link/copy of the datasheet for this chip, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back