Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

infrared phototransistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddoria

So i bought one of today, and hooked it up so when i push buttons on my TV remote, an LED turns on. However, the closer i get to the phototransistor, the brighter my LED gets..... shouldn't it not matter? (because the TV remote is just acting as the supply to the base of the transistor)

anyone have an explanation??

the closer you get to the receiver led, the more ir light falls on it so you get more voltage or whatever, so you have the led turned on.
i conenct the receiver led to an audio amp and listen to how the remote "speaks"

hmm thats where the problem lies... i thought that the infrared was providing voltage to the BASE, simply turning on the transistor, so essentially if any amount is present, the visible LED should be the same brightness.

what am i misunderstanding?

well, it is not.
for what you say, you need to make an amp to it.
you can try connecting the phototransistor to the input of the speakers of the computer and listen to what you get.
the phenomonon is simple, it is quite like a solar cell, more light more power.....

When I was building an IR proximity sensor for my robot I also tested a few remotes on the receiver. I found out that every remote has its own sound. I my opinion, Technics' remote "sings" better than Sony's or JVCs' :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back