Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Information Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milk

I am extremely new to electronics, and currently know very little. I am taking a class next month to begin my learning. I am attempting a few projects to get my feet wet, hands on is the best way to learn :D . I am gathering up parts for the Garage Door Hacker project, and am having trouble finding the "CD4040BE 12 stage binary counter IC." I really have no idea what any of the numbers mean or anything. I am trying to see if I can find an IC like this off of old salvaged parts that I have, but am not sure what exactly to look for. I found this IC from an old radio that has the numbers KA2248A 950B, and has the same number of pins as the one I'm looking for. I am wondering if there is any way to tell if this is what I need, or if this is an in-house labeling system and impossible to tell.

Is there some kind of universal list for the numbers I am given? Sorry if this is all very funny. :oops:

What country are you in? In Australia, there are a variety of stores, eg. Dick Smith, JayCar, Altronics and the international companies such as RS Components, Farnel, etc. They all have web sites.

The 4060 is a CMOS counter, if you post the circuit (or the part of it containing the 4060) we may be able to assist. It may be possible for you to use either the 4020 or 4040.

The KA2248A 950B will not be suitable. There are thousands of different types of ICs with 14 or 16 pins. (I can't remember off hand whether the 4060 has 14 or 16)

Len

welcome

Welcome! Feel free to post any questions here as your class progresses, we're here to help.

Is there some kind of universal list for the numbers I am given?
Not really, but this may help give you an idea of the variety of standard ICs that are available (and this list just scratches the surface, scroll to the end for CD4000 series descriptions)

Thanks for the help :)

Now, for my next question...is there some common electronic object that usually has these 12 state binary counters in them? ie. a phone, a cash register, a mouse...I dunno just throwing some stuff out I own. I will probably have an easier time picking up a salvage piece with it in it, rather than trying to buy it.

Thanks in advance this time :D

As Nigel likes to point out, you have not filled out your profile, so we have no idea of where in the world you are located!

However, that having been said, Mouser has the ST Micro HCF4040BEY (DIP-16 package) in stock at $0.62 (USD) each, minimum purchase quantity 1 piece (999 pcs. on hand).

**broken link removed** is the datasheet for that IC -- read through it and see what you can learn... :) Post back with any questions that you may have.

Just a side-bit of information. Arizona is a state in the United States. Not trying to be a smart arse, just trying to help :D

Milk, check this link out. There are links to search engines that are specifically designed to help you decipher the part numbers. Some of the sites you have to register at, but these will help you find out what kind of IC you have. My personal favorite is ICMASTER.

**broken link removed**

As you'll notice, there are hundreds of other links related to Electronics. I find that Web-EE often has some good information, if you're looking to feed your brain.

If you still can't find what the IC is (in any circumstance) you can post your part in the "Datasheets / Parts Request" portion of this forum. Someone usually will have a solution for you.

Johnson777717 said:
Just a side-bit of information. Arizona is a state in the United States. Not trying to be a smart arse, just trying to help :D

True -- but also not to be a smart ass, the location was not showing when I made my post! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back