Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Info on cold cathode lights and inverters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemMan

I'm interested in building my own custom inverter to power several 12 inch cold cathode lights to put in my computer case. I can't seem to find any info on the amount of current or voltage these lights need to function. Could someone point me in the right direction? :oops: I did a search for inverters on the forums and found a few schematics with a noticeable difference. The inverters I'm used to seeing have what looks like a coil of wire between the transistors, besides the transformer. :?: I'm thinking of powering at most 5 12 inch lights from the 12 volt supply on the computers power supply. Thanks for any info you can give me. :p

For cold-cathode light tubes need high voltage AC (about 2...3kV), the color depend from encapsulated gas (e.g. neon give red light).
The transformer must be current-limiter type (with magnetic shunt).
I think, the fluorescent-tube inverter with higher output voltage also work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back