Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductance

Status
Not open for further replies.

codan

Hi All,

I need some help with an inductance reading on my Multimeter as i have lost the the instruction manual for it--Duh!!.

I have a coil of wire & when tested on the 2mH setting it reads .289, could someone tell me what measurement this is. Eg is this .289 Henries or ?

Also i need to get this Inductance reading using a coil of 16mm^2 cable, is there a way i can calculate how long the 16mm^2 cable needs to be to get the required Inductance?

Thanks

I think that means it is .289 millihenrys or 289 uh.

the setting on your meter is a maximum for that setting. when its switched to the 2mH setting, if you try to measure something like a 4mH coil, it will read "overload," "OL," or just a 1 on the left with the rest left blank. The "multiplier" is the "mH" meaning all readings for that setting are in mH. so a reading of .289 means 0.289 mH. if you switch to, say, the 2 H mode (i doubt there is one that high, but just for example...) in the 2H mode, if it read .289, THEN you would read it as 0.289 H (no milli).

agree with the above

L = 2l[2.303 log(4l/d)- 1 + u/4 + (d/2l)]

In this equation, L is the inductance in nH (10-9 henry), l is the length and d is the diameter of the wire/rod (both in cm). µ is the permeability of the material (=1.0, except for iron and other ferromagnetic materials).

I guess you can take u = 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back