Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inchworm ICD2 clone review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the review. After months of fiddeling with various serial programs and trying to get wisp to work 100% you've just convinced me to order one :)

It uses a preprogrammed 16F877-20 or A rev 40pin DIP. As for the target chip as long as you can connect the MCLR, PGC & PCD pins you can program it.
Heres the new Inchworm+
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Does the Firefly kit come with a ZIF or do I need to buy one along with it? And if so where would I be able to buy one I didn't see any on the site that sells the inchworm/firefly boards.

Last edited:
The ZIF socket is an option because of its high cost. If you can wait a couple of weeks I'll have a new kit called Junebug available. It's compatible with Firefly and all the other blueroomelectronics kits; but includes an 18F1320 version of Fireflys Tutor on the same board as a USB PICkit 2 SE (5V only) compatible programmer / debugger.
The Junebug has everything you'd need for the midrange 10F thru 18F PICs. Unless you're debugging 30F series PICs the Junebug functions very much like the Inchworm with the Unicorn USB upgrade.
It's both MPLAB 7.62 and PICkit 2 software compatible, the PICkit 2 software is programmer only (PIC autodetection is cool) and supports many Microchip EEPROMs too, there is also a TTL level UART terminal that's very handy.
This is also the first blueroomelectronics kit to officially support the LAB-EASY prototyping system. LAB-EASY is a new advanced modular breadboarding system developed by my friend Eric Chan, I'll post more info on Erics LAB-EASY product line in the following weeks.
Best of all we're hoping to get the complete kit price around $45.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a stupid question but when I buy a Junebug will I still need to build a board for the Pic I want programmed? Or is the socket for the chip just always drawn like it is being used?

An ICP or ICD is designed for programming the PIC while in circuit, it's the modern method for many PICs. But if you want to program using a ZIF socket then you can build the Z version of the Firefly, only a few parts are needed.

If you're new to PICs then you can practice using the MPLAB simulator or Oshonsofts simulator.

Last edited:
Inchworm+ and Unicorn

I purchased and Inchworm+ and a Unicorn a couple of weeks ago. The only surprise was the USB A connector on the Unicorn. So I had to order an A to A cable to use with it.

The Inchworm+ was pretty good, but when I got the cable and the Unicorn programmed the combo really works well together.

My biggest learning curve was moving from the SourceBoost IDE to the MPLAB IDE, as I am using SourceBoost C. :) But I am surviving it quite well.

It is so much more convenient to program the boards I am using which are some of Nigel's tutorial boards that I built. I added an ICSP connector to both the 16F628A and the 16F877A boards.

Before I was using a JDM programmer and there was a lot of back and forth stuff. Now I am able to sit in the MPLAB IDE and do everything there.

August Treubig said:
I purchased and Inchworm+ and a Unicorn a couple of weeks ago.

The Inchworm+ was pretty good, but when I got the cable and the Unicorn programmed the combo really works well together.
They're nice products. I'm really pleased with mine.

If you want another really nice programmer from Blueroom, try a Junebug. I use it more than I use the Inchworm+/Unicorn now. As well as being a PICkit2 clone, Junebug has a 18F1320 tutor onboard too.

The only surprise was the USB A connector on the Unicorn. So I had to order an A to A cable to use with it.
Ya that cable is pretty strange. :rolleyes: I had to chase around to get one too but I found mine locally.

futz said:
The only surprise was the USB A connector on the Unicorn. So I had to order an A to A cable to use with it.

Ya that cable is pretty strange. I had to chase around to get one too but I found mine locally.

1) try the dollar stores -- they sell the cables for $1, and a male/male adapter for another $1.

2) the pads for a USB "B" connector are on the board (Unicorn) -- unsolder the A connector and solder in a B connector.

John, I totally agree.

Inchworm with Firefly should be a very good combination for beginners.

I am new for micro controller. but I just got a ICD2 and tried to play with. can you make a very simple program to test my ICD2 with pic16f88? I just want make a LED flash that's all. (may be just connect it to port B) thanks
thanks
Runingbamboo

usb based icd PIC debugger

hi,

I want to make my own usb based icd pic debugger,can u help me with the hardware part and software part of it.

i want the code ,the idea how to start it.i am feeling difficulty in where and how to start implementing my ideas.

Thankyou
Nagarathna

Inchworn+ IDC vs. Microchip PicKit2

After I read this forum, I was considering the Inchworn ICD being a good chice for my first programmer however then I found the Microchip PicKit2 in AlliedElectronics.com. It was slightly cheaper (around $35) and its features are almost identical besides the fact that PicKit2 is a complete product that can be used immediately with USB port unlike the Inchworn ICD which requires some kind of enclosure in order to be usable. I'm very satisfied with the Pickit2 and I highly recommend it especially for newbies.

I built the Inchworm when the PICKit2 was new and a very limited programmer. The PK2 has with firmware upgrades become an excellent PIC programmer and in some way superior to the ICD2. So I built the Junebug (PK2 compatible) to replace the Inchworm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back