Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In the design/Idea phase: Relay Computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

I have been throwing around ideas, and I am glad to say that I am beginning the design phase of a Relay computer. I am researching memory storage and bit registry, and clocks too. I found a great page that will help me design my relay computer, and all I need now is a cheap source of a lot of relays. If you have any links to cheap relays, let me know asap! :D

Krumlink said:
I have been throwing around ideas, and I am glad to say that I am beginning the design phase of a Relay computer. I am researching memory storage and bit registry, and clocks too. I found a great page that will help me design my relay computer, and all I need now is a cheap source of a lot of relays. If you have any links to cheap relays, let me know asap! :D

Well, it would certainly help if you mentioned the voltage required for your relays..

That being said, this site has them for as cheap as $0.99/ea:

https://surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?...rd=ERRD&catname=electric&UID=2008031500223938

You mean like this?

**broken link removed**

That looks like a bed in the foreground. I know what my wife would say if I built something like that in our bedroom.

Mike.

Yes that would help I suppose :D

I prefer to have a operating voltage between 5VDC and 12VDC.

Pommie said:
You mean like this?

**broken link removed**

That looks like a bed in the foreground. I know what my wife would say if I built something like that in our bedroom.

Mike.

Yes, but not quite that elaborate. I read the specs on that thing and WOW!

It's quite obvious that the bedroom belongs to a single male who is doomed to remain that way for a long long time.

I have one suggestion. Consider carefully your power requirements. A quick survey of signal relays from NEC and Omron reveals that each non-latching relay will consume between 150 and 500 milliwatts. A handfull of relays could easily require a rather large power supply. When I was a young engineer I heard tell of a 5V 3600 A supply that was used for such a purpose. I never knew weather to believe it or not.

Driving a single non-latching relay requires a minimum of one transistor, one diode, and one or two resistors.

A single coil latching relay requires a more complicated bridge driver, but consumes much lower power when it is not switching. This is very similar to the behavior of a CMOS output.

BTW in the NEC literature they mention that at elevated temperatures there will be outgassing that has the possibility to corrode the contacts. Sounds yuckey.

Good luck and have fun

Bob Scott said:
It's quite obvious that the bedroom belongs to a single male who is doomed to remain that way for a long long time.
Well, it appears that he is in fact **broken link removed**, or was at one time (perhaps before he put the clacking machine in the bedroom).

Roff said:
Well, it appears that he is in fact **broken link removed**, or was at one time (perhaps before he put the clacking machine in the bedroom).

Or did he put the computer in the bedroom after the clacking machine went back to live with her mother.:D

JimB

JimB said:
Or did he put the computer in the bedroom after the clacking machine went back to live with her mother.:D

JimB

Lol, that could well be the answer.

Mike.

3v0 said:
Perhaps you will have a better chance of success if you scale it back to start with. Maybe an adder.

Of course! I am looking into creating a clock counter (out of relays) for the fininte state machine. This has helped me a lot, even though it is kinda long and layed out a tad bit too much.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/03/RelayTalk.pdf

I was going to start with the clock first, then on to the 1 bit adder, then the 8 bit adder, and so on.

I think that after he built the "clicking thing", his missus made him make the choice .......

"Its either me or the machine."

By the looks of things he chose the machine and moved into the spare room.

their are not enough true elegtrical designs

for people to "just out of no where say" i am going to take this one from everyone that way i have soemthing to do to foget to talk about later,., that will never ne able to be put back into circulation

em2006 said:
Thank you for that linky! It is saved under bookmarks and I will read through that later. Not sure why it would be on retards.org :p

electionrejection said:
for people to "just out of no where say" i am going to take this one from everyone that way i have soemthing to do to foget to talk about later,., that will never ne able to be put back into circulation

What are you trying to say here? People build stuff then it gets wasted?

Update: I found a computer tower, and I am in the process of modifiying it so that I can install all the peripherals inside. I am going to do it, the gears of a indominateable mind have been set in motion.

Krum, after your done. I have the perfect robot. ww2 tank conversion when when the duo core Apple laptops become somewhat obsolete. Node them together flip the screens around use them as display's ? Add some hydraulic arms and power it all off diesel, operate with a joy stick of your choosing.

As to the gun on the turret maybe put a flag in the barrel then raise it ?

Whooooa ! ...................... kv

Good luck on the ( clack ity clacks )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back