Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Im trying to bulid special Midi to Microcontroller device , need own circuit and pro help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Funk

We're working on project that controls signals from daw (digital audio workstation - music production software). I 'm seeking for information and help all around .
The circuit needs to handle 64 analog inputs . the point is that i need to have kind of 3 positions for those 64 inputs .
So if the position is 1 then all inputs are assign to first 64 parameters , then if u put the position to B it switches to next 64 parameters and again switching it to position C brings new 64 assign positions.
What are the cost of producing this kind of this circuit board? If ordered by 1 pcs and if ordered by 500 pcs manufacturer .
I'm noob in this world so i hope u ll get what i mean . ;]
thanks in advance

Are you thinking of a 64 by 64 cross-point switch or matrix? 1 in to 1 out? 1 in to any # of out? Any # of in to any # of out? Line level? Signal level and quality?
Please define your specs! E

When I designed my first Micro PCB design, I paid £100 for 10 off... Once I made the small changes ( believe me, there will be changes ) I had 100 boards made... Luckily the changes were minimal and little tooling changes so my 100 off were £2.85 each... The last batch I had were just over £1.50 each as all tooling cost were covered at the beginning...

1 pc will be the full amount + tooling... The 500 will be a lot cheaper... But!! without seeing the board, pin count and layout I couldn't even estimate how much your board would be..

Mine was 120 x 90 with approximately 150 pins..

MIDI is not just for music. Some of the famous attractions in Las Vegas (think fountains and volcanos) are under MIDI control, so why not an audio switch? E

I suppose it could be used for devices other than musical instruments, but there are other interface standards more appropriate for large arrays of analog signals, but the OP did mention a music computer in the first post.

from Wiki:
MIDI
(/ˈmɪdi/; short for Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is a technical standard that describes a protocol, digital interface and connectors and allows a wide variety of electronic musical instruments, computers and other related devices to connect and communicate with one another.[1] A single MIDI link can carry up to sixteen channels of information, each of which can be routed to a separate device.

MIDI carries event messages that specify notation, pitch and velocity, control signals for parameters such as volume, vibrato, audio panning, cues, and clock signals that set and synchronize tempo between multiple devices. These messages are sent via a MIDI cable to other devices where they control sound generation and other features. This data can also be recorded into a hardware or software device called a sequencer, which can be used to edit the data and to play it back at a later time.[2]:4

DF If you want to switch 3x64 to 64 independent analogue audio signals then cmos bilateral switches will do the job,( a lot) If you want to switch same numbers MiDi ( cannot think why ) that is a different ball game...
4066-switch-circuit.jpg

If you want to switch same numbers MiDi
DF If you want to switch 3x64 to 64 independent analogue audio signals then cmos bilateral switches will do the job,( a lot) If you want to switch same numbers MiDi ( cannot think why ) that is a different ball game...
View attachment 97582
There are much better analog multiplexors than the antique 4066. Mainly lower on-resistance, but you can also get more switches per package. If he needs many inputs to 1 outputs then a 16:1 mux is easy to get, like the Analog Devices AD7502 for example. To be honest I was not clear on what kind of switch configuration the OP needs, ie. many to 1 or 1 to many, or as Can mentioned cross point.

:confused: My understanding is that you are looking for the equivalent of a 64P3T switch which can handle analogue signals (amplitude/quality unknown)? But MIDI is digital.

I could not tell what the OP really wanted, it would be nice if folks could articulate themselves a little better. I was once speaking with a English professor who felt the text speak, and other influences of tech such as social media have made the millennials inept when it comes to the written word. I am beginning to think he was right.

**broken link removed**

i cannot post straight image , it wont show up ...
So i marked a section that is what i mean ... There are a 6 knobs ...they be assigned to parameters inside of music software , using midi cc signals ...
If we have position a the 6 knobs are on first data positions so u can assign 6 parameters in daw . If position has been changed , its get on another data positions so positions a saved parameters to control are staying and when u go on b u get 6 new knob assigments posibilities and so on if u go to position c .
i need 64 analog input microcontroler that may be switched in 3 positions so each time all set of knobs/faders gets to new position giving 64x3 posibilites for parameter assignments...totally giving 192 .
How much would that kind of microcontroller board cost ? As I said how much would be one piece around , easily knowing that bigger amount will make it cheaper.Looking further price for programming this kind of board as well , does the circuit manufacturer do it as well . Extra cash propably.
Even my nooby question is how to start developing this kind of circuits.
Does anyone know manufactures being able to do me this kind of boards?
Forgot to say that its connected with usb .

Im trying to bring a project to the kickstarter ,

Last edited by a moderator:
We're working on project that controls signals from daw (digital audio workstation - music production software). I 'm seeking for information and help all around .
The circuit needs to handle 64 analog inputs . the point is that i need to have kind of 3 positions for those 64 inputs .
So if the position is 1 then all inputs are assign to first 64 parameters , then if u put the position to B it switches to next 64 parameters and again switching it to position C brings new 64 assign positions.
What are the cost of producing this kind of this circuit board? If ordered by 1 pcs and if ordered by 500 pcs manufacturer .
I'm noob in this world so i hope u ll get what i mean . ;]
thanks in advance
Realistically you are looking at the following. Design of a new circuit rather than a copy of an existing one mainly because you mention 500 boards so this sounds commercial, it's not recommended but possible to copy a circuit for one off private use but not a commercial product. What your asking could be accomplished many ways, how I would tackle would depend of whether its a project or commercial product.

If its commercial then the cost of the boards is negligible to cost of design, dont under estimate how many hours work you are asking for to get a unique design. So really first question should be what price point am I aiming at? how many boards will I realistically going to sell? Be realistic with the numbers, what is the budget? Donr just budget £200 for boards as I said this is a fraction of what it would cost to get designed, even if you could talk someone into doing it for $20 an hour you need to appreciate how many hours of work will be involved.

It often works in your favor to pay for this kind of work, if its free you will be tempted to add things and keep tweaking, eventually the person doing the free work will get fed up and drop it and then your left with a design that exists in a person's head that you no longer have access to. I sound negative but I am not, you need to have many more answers ready before you even begin to look at design, if the question is can this be done? Then the answer is sure it can be done but can you afford to do it and make a profit? Try and find out why what you propose isnt already out there, this is often a good way to save time,trouble and money

LG

P>S I work cheap :D

we have fresh project and those kind of funtcions fit for our needs . We had designed first a device from not how is constructed , but what does it do and what is an device usage destination . Why know everything and we know we ll make project haoppend ...First we need to get the boards then enclosures then propably manufacture it somewhere . Propably we ll be trying to do it somewhere in China or sth.
We're electronic sound/music production veterans and we know what we re doing . We've designed around 10 diffrent devices so far and this project is our company start .
We're totally noob so , this thread is as well an data collecting homework .

we have fresh project and those kind of funtcions fit for our needs . We had designed first a device from not how is constructed , but what does it do and what is an device usage destination . Why know everything and we know we ll make project haoppend ...First we need to get the boards then enclosures then propably manufacture it somewhere . Propably we ll be trying to do it somewhere in China or sth.
We're electronic sound/music production veterans and we know what we re doing . We've designed around 10 diffrent devices so far and this project is our company start .
We're totally noob so , this thread is as well an data collecting homework .
Sorry that is utter giberish I cant understand WTF your on about.

We had designed first a device from not how is constructed , but what does it do and what is an device usage destination

???? Seriously use a better translator

MPD218 is no more than a MiDi master keyboard, it outputs MiDi over USB , the 'audio' produced by the host . so what is DF wanting... :banghead: 64 pads feeding MiDi over USB with 3 selectable sets of parameters of for each pad.. ?

DF post a block diagram sketch as language would appear to be a problem , try not to use text speak.

DF 64 potentiometers feeding MiDi over USB with 3 selectable sets of parameters of for each pot.. ? this what you mean... Pot to MiDi ? ( we will get there eventually) post a sketch...

We're electronic sound/music production veterans and we know what we re doing
Unfortunately, members here may have the electronics knowledge but lack your in-depth music production knowledge and are struggling to know what you are doing. So, as granddad said above, "DF, post a block diagram sketch, as language would appear to be a problem".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back