I'm glad I'm not crazy LOL the joy of MPlab X

Status
Not open for further replies.

be80be

You can't have the new 4.00 with your older 3.xx Mplab x it messes them up But on a side note I figured out how to get UART 1 output working in Mplab x so it's all good
and Mplab X like linux I think better then windows.

Figured I share this with you I'm sure not all of us no we can output serial using debug in MPlab x
Needed code to make it work
Code:
#include <pic18f1220.h>  // make this the chip your using and look at the rest to see if the bits are right

void putch(unsigned char data) {
    while(TXSTA1bits.TRMT == 0)          // wait until the transmitter is ready
        continue;
    TXREG1 = data;                     // send one character
}
void init_uart(void) {
    TXSTA1bits.TXEN = 1;               // enable transmitter
    RCSTA1bits.SPEN = 1;               // enable serial port
}
Open this window and set to use UART1 io option

use code like this to spit it out
Code:
#include <xc.h>
#include <stdio.h>

// Application begins here
void main(void) {
    init_uart();

int i;

for (i = 0; i < 5; i++)
{
        printf("Loop iteration %d\n", i);
}
}
And have fun

My biggest problem ( when trying to help ) is I hate MPLABX... Its awful!! I can still do everything in MPLAB V8.xx so I never use it... The multi project thing never works good.. You almost always need to have only one project at a time..

You can't port the project.. ie.. send me the code.. The project is fixed to your directory structure... I can never build a project posted without creating the whole thing from scratch..

Maybe microchip should forget Mplab x LOL atmel studio works great bet it be no big deal to add xc8 to it lol.
on a fip note mplab x 4.00 can use avr now.

Hi be80be
I had been looking at installing MPLABX 4 on my win 7 PC, since its release, but as the 3.50 version I use was stable ( most of the time ) tried 3.6x .. so I held off . Last week I was given an old Compaq Presario PC and asked to recover some pictures for a relative , just a 1000 or so ! , " do what you want with the box " She said... Did I need another box ? This was not a fast beast from 2009 ... Pentiun 4 28ooMhz 200gig HD 512Mb , XP home , I had some old 1Gig DDR memory, so upgraded that, took out the Modem ! and second HD..and loaded Linux Mint 18.2 ... Hey I was expecting loads of command line typing , but not a lot.... then installed MPLABX 4 ... and XC16 and tested with Pickit3 ( clone ) did not want to risk a genuine ... and really impressed... looks good and responsive. OK Not installed anything else yet but felt like a modern geek ... Never considered Linux as an win alternative I did UNIX ... sorry unix back in the 1980's so some similarities there , and all for free ! .... hope to get my new/yery.old box www connected and try out the pre-installed FireFox and thunderbird mail . so far MPLABX 4 and Linux mint 18.2 10/10 ...

Why aren't there any unix viruses ? unix is a virus....

Last edited:
Maybe microchip should forget Mplab x LOL atmel studio works great bet it be no big deal to add xc8 to it lol.
on a fip note mplab x 4.00 can use avr now.

Maybe Microchip figured it was cheaper to buy Atmel than fix MPLabX.

And atmel studio is really Microsoft's visual studio. Which I am using with the ESP8266

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…