Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IGBT Overcurrent Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexsgarage

IGBTs can be damaged by overcurrent conditions such as: ground fault and line-to-line short. To prevent these from damaging the IGBT there is an overcurrent protection circuit that shuts down the transistor if such fault conditions occur.

How are these devices designed?
How can I integrate one of these devices into my IGBT driver circuit?

My IGBTs (HGTG30N60B3D) can withstand a short circuit for about 10 µs, so the device will have to have a fast response time.
The IGBTs will be used to switch 120V, to protect the overcurrent detector diodes will clamp the voltage within safe limits.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

I think you are most likely looking for one of these or one of its many cousins.

Attachments

• IR2114 HALF BRIDGE DRIVER.pdf
    440.3 KB · Views: 459
Yes, that would work nicely, but I have already designed gate drive circuits and bought the components to build them, I am looking for a circuit that can just be added on to my existing drivers without much modification. Something that could monitor current at the collector and emitter leads of the IGBT and send a signal up to the shutdown pin on my SG3524 PWM in the event of an overcurrent condition.

Put a sense resistor after the source of the IGBT, and measure the voltage drop across it. This is how most of the overcurrent protection schemes work.

Here is what I came up with.

On the left is the drive comparator, in the middle are the drive transistors, and on the right is my overcurrent shutdown.

Attachments

• Low Side IGBT Driver.jpg
    Low Side IGBT Driver.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 679
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back