Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identify blown part on the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

senya12

Hi

Please help with burned part identification. This is a fragment of Gigabyte GA-MA770 motherboard. In the middle there are two parts that were identical some time ago. The one that's still alive has marking 'P' and '160' on the next line and symbol 'F1' printed on the motherboard (see photo).
What is it? Can I simply buy a replacement and solder it right instead of blown one?

Attachments

• burned-part-2.jpg
    burned-part-2.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,571
Last edited:
looks like a smd

either a resistor or capacitor.
either way, I would just buy a quality motherboard.
who knows if the reason the part in question took any other componets with it??
IMHO buy cheap and its gonna cost you more in the long run.
spend the bucks now on a quality motherboard and only pay once.
My son in law works on the geek squad and biggest complaint is people buy a Dxxl computer and the mother boards give up the dust after 3 years or so.
I myself have been down this road. bought a cheap mother board. several years later I purchased a quality ASUS MB. used same cpu but computer seemed like a speed deamon compared to privious MB.
most conservations about computers are the cpu speed and memory. no mention of MB.
The mother board is truly the heart of your computer.
found newegg.com has some pretty good deals.
STAY AWAY from Frxx's as I know for a fact that an item was returned (a MB) that wouldn't work right.
returned to store.
went back following day for something else and the MB I returned was back on the shelf (I had marked it)
save yourself some $$$ and headaches.buy a quality MB

You could do that... but, if it is a fuse, they don't just burn up for no reason. You would probably be wasting your time unless you can determine what caused it to burn in the first place...

Jeff

I was thinking it looked like a power resistor, but doesn't an F marking usually denote a ferrite?

Thanks for your answers.

I did forget to mention one important thing - motherboard is fully functional!
Almost though. Sometimes it's hangs and forces PC to restart unexpectedly, the screen freezes for a second, sound also 'freezes' and then restart, no blue screen. Looks like power failure to me so i decided to take a look at the MB.
This is not a cheap sh... , its really an expensive and quality one, but definitely there's a problem. Whihch I want to fix by replacing this fuse, if it is fuse. But what's the current rating? And is it really a fuse?

It's actually pretty cheap. $76 CDN
Nice board though.
With this in mind, we bring you today a motherboard for the masses that can found for less than $80CDN but which features a specifications list that will satisfy just about anyone. The product in question is the Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3.
It's very new I would think some sort of warranty would still apply. Have you contacted the seller or Gigabyte?

Last edited:
It's very new I would think some sort of warranty would still apply. Have you contacted the seller or Gigabyte?
Not yet, I've managed to find all papers 5 minutes ago. Luckily warranty is still valid so I'll contact Gigabyte representatives tomorrow.

Or just replace the damn fuse :)

Thanks a lot everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back