Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identification of component. Help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxplut

Hello,
I'm trying to repair a lightweight remote control flying thing. It wasn't holding charge so I assumed that the Li cell was degraded. I tried searching for something that matches the wording on the component but came up with nothing. Perhaps the component is so cheaply made that its markings make no sense. It says "Super Li Capacitor 3.7F HA10160". It definitely says 3.7F, not 3.7V. I have my doubts because 3.7F isn't very super.

The component is a cylindrical capacitor with two top terminals. It is approximately 1/2 inch high, 3/8 inch diameter. I have attached a photo if that helps.

Can anyone suggest what I might replace this with?
thanks

Attachments

• WIN_20190121_231649.JPG
    WIN_20190121_231649.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 262
3.7F is a huge capacitor. There's probably a voltage rating on it somewhere.

It is a hybrid lithium-ion supercapacitor.
Functionally it works rather like a small battery, but with much shorter charge time than a conventional battery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_capacitor

I suspect the number is the case size - 10 x 16mm ??

I cannot find any quite that small; this is the lowest value I can find, 20F, 10mm diameter by 30 long..
https://uk.farnell.com/vinatech/vlcrs3r8206mg/cap-20f-3-8v-lithium-ion/dp/2846645

Most supercaps are only rated to 2.7V while is appears the lithium hybrid ones are rated to 3.8V, so you cannot substitute the commoner type.

Remember its for a tiny drone or copter - size and especially weight is critical.

The original one is physically tiny, this one is almost 25mm diameter by 6mm thick..

Size doesn't matter nearly as much as weight. Also, super capacitors and ultra capacitors are very limited on charging rate.

Thanks for the help so far. Size is fairly critical but the component shown by Ramussns might fit. The toy is a Despicable Me minion with a helecopter blade on its head. The body houses the electronics and it is small. About the size of a plum. They must have made millions of these things. I could get a new one on ebay for a few pounds but I hate to junk a whole device just because one obvious component has failed.

I would have said,
I could get a new one on ebay for a few pounds but I hate to junk a whole device when I have the chance to take something apart, show my kids what's inside and give us all a slim chance to fix something and enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done and the admiration of my friends and family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back