Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideas on heatsink needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished the transformer for my dc hid ballast but I don't have a heatsink yet for the transistors. Does anyone know how big of a heatsink I would need for some 3055's at about 50 watts of power. They are TO-3 case.

A 2N3055 has a thermal resistance of 1.5 deg C per W and a maximum junction temperature of 200 deg C. At 50 W the semiconductor will be around 75 deg C hotter than the heatsink. That would put the maximum heatsink temperature of around 125 deg C. If there is a maximum air temperature of 50 deg C, then the heat sink can be 75 deg C hotter than the air. To dissipate 50 W with temperature difference of 75 deg C, you need a heatsink with a thermal resistance of 1.5 deg C per W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back