Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

Does anyone have a book that will explain, in great detail, how a computer works? When i say "how a computer works", i mean; the busses(and how they work), how addressing REALLYworks, the memory(DRAM, SRAM, and MCC's), what IRQ's Really are, what DMA and DMA Requests are. I would like to know. If anyone would care to leave a description, that would be great, but i would like a book. Actually, i would like it if someone would give me a taste, if you will, of what these things are, and how they function. Thanks!

Also, don't bother checking my spelling. I can guarantee that it is all right.

Also, don't bother checking my spelling. I can guarantee that it is all right
indeed - i couldn't find anything. good work

@topic:
Why don't you look for introductory tutorials on the net first, before buying a book ?

I like a challenge. Also, i have tried multiple times to solve your i^2=j^2=k^2=ijk=.1. Is it just me, or is there no solution?

OH! It is a negitive 1! I thought it was a .1(with a decimal point). Ok, problem solved.

Marks256 said:
Does anyone have a book that will explain, in great detail, how a computer works? When i say "how a computer works", i mean; the busses(and how they work), how addressing REALLYworks, the memory(DRAM, SRAM, and MCC's), what IRQ's Really are, what DMA and DMA Requests are. I would like to know. If anyone would care to leave a description, that would be great, but i would like a book. Actually, i would like it if someone would give me a taste, if you will, of what these things are, and how they function. Thanks!

Also, don't bother checking my spelling. I can guarantee that it is all right.
The book you want will have "computer architecture" in the title. Caxton C. Foster is a capable author on this subject. Since you are two hours away from a university and given the state of public libraries you might find a used copy on amazon.

What do you think of this one?
**broken link removed**

How about a trip to your local public library! You save some money too!

As i have said before, my library sucks. No books on electronics, nothing. Just a bunch of girly fantasy/fiction books. Nothing educational.

Sounds like your city/county government needs to fire the head librarian! WTH kind of library is it that doesn't have the various subjects on file? As one exception, I could see perhaps the Bill Clinton Presidential "brag about himself" Legacy Library, but anywhere else, there should be books available on all topics!

If you can get the book for 2-5 bucks I think it will be a good start to your bookshelf.

Ok, i will through in a bid.

_nox_ said:
indeed - i couldn't find anything. good work
There is nothing worng with the spelling in the post you're commenting on but the word "I" is always spelt with a capital I.

Yes, but i don't like "i". It's just me. So, who cares?

Also, i did buy that book. It should come tomorrow, or the next day. Oooh, i cant wait! :)

Marks256 said:
Yes, but i don't like "i". It's just me. So, who cares?
You will when you get an F in English. :D

Actually, i do very well in English. I just really don't care about grammar and/or spelling on AN ELECTRONICS FORUM! If i cared enough, i would take more time.

Personally, I picked up a copy of "PC Upgrade & Maintenance Guide - 11th ed." for $1 @ the local Goodwill store (second-hand shop)...I saw a newer one at a bookstore for $60...it has everything though...I originally bought it for the processor pinouts along with all the busses, RAM pinouts and such...plus it has a lot of info in it that's just good to have lying around...

I took the hardware practice A+ certification test on the included CD and passed...no studying =D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back