Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I.E 7 and Java woes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
My son is learning Java and so I thought I'd preempt his questions and go through the tutorials available on the net first. I've managed to get a basic applet working in a html page but am being hampered by IE. Whenever I change the applet I have to close all IE windows and open the (local) page containing the applet. I then have to go through the Security questions etc.

So, for the knowledgeable in this area,

How can I tell IE that stuff on MY computer is OK to run. I tried adding file://* to the trusted site list but that isn't allowed.:confused:

How can I make refresh reload the applet? I assume I have to add something to the html but can't find out what exactly.

FYI, the page is just a html page in a local folder.
I'm on XP home without IIS.
I'm using jdk1.6.0

Thanks

Mike.

try changing the caching facility to "every time i visit webpage " in options->browsing history->settings
try lowering you local intranet security to low.
the only way to reload an html automatically is to use meta refresh tag .but.is that needed in your case..?

Unfortunately, IE 7 doesn't (or I can't find it) have the caching facility menu - it doesn't have any menus! As for Internet security level - the lowest level is medium!!!! No matter how hard I press the mouse button it will not go lower than medium.

I can reload (via refresh) the HTML page but the applet get loaded from the cache. The only way to get it to reload the applet is to close all browsers. As I am trying to work through a tutorial on the internet it gets very frustrating. It goes something like, edit the java file, compile it, close all IE windows, open test.html, see if it did whatever, open history, find tutorial, read next bit, edit java file - ad infinitum.

There has to be a better way.

Mike.

Wow I didn't know IE was still a pile of crap.

I've tried IE 7.0 and it didn't seem that bad, most of the good stuff was coppied off Opera, but it didn't seem too bad.

Try using a different browser.

I use firefox. So no help, but maybe download firefox and see if it runs.

Are you tring to use Java on the local machine or this is code that will end up on the internet? Java does not have to be ran in your browser. If you have a firewall, maybe (I would not do it) load IIS. Or download apache for windows.

EDIT: In all the browser I take care of, no IE 7.0. They have a Java enabled option. See if that is off. I turn that off when I load them.

Pommie said:
Unfortunately, IE 7 doesn't (or I can't find it) have the caching facility menu - it doesn't have any menus! As for Internet security level - the lowest level is medium!!!! No matter how hard I press the mouse button it will not go lower than medium.

I can reload (via refresh) the HTML page but the applet get loaded from the cache. The only way to get it to reload the applet is to close all browsers. As I am trying to work through a tutorial on the internet it gets very frustrating. It goes something like, edit the java file, compile it, close all IE windows, open test.html, see if it did whatever, open history, find tutorial, read next bit, edit java file - ad infinitum.

There has to be a better way.

Mike.
ehh..?? one of my browsers is IE7 , and i confirmed the options and its path before posting . the caching is here Tools->internet options->[general tab] [browsing history section]->settings->[multiple options , select the first one]

in case of security .goto Tools->internet options->[security tab]->select local intranet->custom level-> and set the "Reset to:" combobox to "Low" and press Reset button , a warning will appear ,confirm.

AKG, OK, found the options and made the changes you suggested, still the same. It still asks (twice - bar across the top and then a message box asking are you sure!!) if I should let it run the applet and still loads the applet from the cache. I don't think accessing a local file is classed as an intranet - is it?

Mramos, tried firefox, it doesn't do anything. No error, not even a box where the applet should be.

I hate security. It just seems to stop you doing legitimate things.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back