Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HYDROGEN GENERATOR - fuel cell ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hydrogen gas

I believe that hydrogen is 2.5 times stronger than petrol gasoline . from what i have read it is , but check and see if you can find me wrong. I am willing to compromise. See if we can find what the power ratio is from gasoline versus Hydrogen . But at the present we are playing GUITARS.

gibsonrockin247 said:
I believe that hydrogen is 2.5 times stronger than petrol gasoline . from what i have read it is , but check and see if you can find me wrong. I am willing to compromise. See if we can find what the power ratio is from gasoline versus Hydrogen . But at the present we are playing GUITARS.

I think your 'mistake' is you're comparing them by WEIGHT - hydrogen is 2.5 times more powerful than petrol by weight, but much less by VOLUME - which is what really matters for a car.

It doesn't matter anyway, powering a combustion engine from hydrogen is a waste of both time and energy.

Almost any energy source, including electricity, can be converted to heat with 100% efficiency. This isn't motive power.

gibsonrockin247,
An alternator and motor are more efficient than an electrolysis cell and the engine.

Storing the energy in hydrogen would result in greater loss both in converting the mechanical power to hydrogen then converting the hydrogen back to mechanical power than convetring the mechicanical power to electricity then back to mechanical power.

You don't need to do any calculations, it's obvious as the hydrogen is an extra step that can easilly be omitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back