Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to make an adjustable 5 minutes timer without microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gardenyu

I was recently assigned this project. Build an adjustable timer to count as long as 5 minutes ( accuracy is not important) then trigger something.

Although programming a micro would have been easier, I rather not do that for now. But normal 555 and RC timers can only count very short time period.

Any suggestion?

The 555 can time intervals more than 5 minutes with a big enough capacitor/high enough resistors.

Thanks, but this is for a LED circuit which is supposed to be operating for 50,000, I don't think large electrolytic caps is suitable there.

Use a 555 timer at a higher frequency and use a counter to count the 555 clock pulses. For example an 8-bit counter would give you a 5 minute period with a 256/300 = 0.853Hz frequency from the 555. A 16-bit counter would require a clock frequency of 218Hz.

supposed to be operating for 50,000 50,000 what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back