Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to enchance memory of c drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

samina

hi
is it possible to redistribute memory among c,d etc drive,
my c drive does not have sufficient free space. on the other hand , others drive have more than sufficient free space. Can i increase size of c drive by decreasing other drive?

I have some real overkill software you can try if you're goal is to merge two partitions: **broken link removed**.

Otherwise, you can use a partition manager to resize partitions. However it's a risky task so do a backup berfore :)

If you with memory mean to allow page file to span over several partitions, most OS allow you to do so. But you gains nothing to have two separated page files on the same disk. Placing them on two physical disks on the other hand is good.

Back up what you don't need to CDR then delete it. Empty recycle bin, run defrag... rinse and repeat.

Repartitioning the C: drive is playing with fire, especially if you have an OEM install that did not give you recovery system CD's. It can be done with the right software and if you know exactly what you are doing. If you don't you may crash your system disk.

Make sure you first clean all the accumulated crap that builds up on C drive like cookie tracking, and temp file downloads. Then defragment C drive.

If still not enough then it may be time to do a clean install to start over. Windows needs a new install every year or two to clean house.

If you are dealing with an OEM system install that did not give you system CD's then check if there is a method to build a recovery CD first. Problem is some of these recovery CD's give you the original partition back again. Expanding the C partition before you put anything on D is much safer. Just deallocate D partition, expand C partition, and finally create a new D partition in remaining disk space.

Last edited:
To manage partitions I use gparted. It's a Linux live CD that handles partitions so only use it if you have backed up first.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back