Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to create breaks on veroboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I 'm not sure how to create the breaks on the board. Whats the easiest way to create breaks? I could create my own pcb but from what I've read it's substantial amount of work that isn't guaranteed to work.

i use a 6mm drill bit, cuts the tracks nicely, a new drill bit is best and you can turn it by hand,

dont use the bit in a power drill or it will go right through if your not careful

Last edited:
i use a 6mm drill bit, cuts the tracks nicely, a new drill bit is best and you can turn it by hand,

dont use the bit in a power drill or it will go right through if your not careful

LOL:D

Power Drills and VeroBoard don't work well together. I also found out the hard way.

Cheers

I remember at school we made PCB with some sort of marker then dipped it into acid. The acid etched off the rest of the copper leaving a copper track behind.
What's that marker called?

Ignore me it just came to mind

Last edited:
There is a tool that is basically a 6mm drill bit with a handle, just the bit works if you get a firm grip on it and turn it.

oh The name solder resist pen came to mind. So any permanent black marker will do?

Maybe, maybe not; if you want to be sure, you want to use a "Sharpie" brand permanent ink marker. BTW - they sell a version of the marker that is "industrial" strength (has red writing on the pen body); you might get one and experiment with it - I have yet to try it, but I am not sure whether "ordinary" solvents will remove it afterward or not...

I'd just use a dremel tool with a slightly worn cutoff wheel, should put the breaks in nicely

The Sharpie Industrial works very well. Unfortunatly they don't make the extra fine point anymore.

Acetone will remove it easily afterward.

Alain

What is this talk of acetone and sharpie for veroboard, that's not going to remove the copper trace. You could do it with a drill bit centered on the trace, you could do it with an spinning disc from a cheap dremel nockoff, you could do it by hand with a sharp x-acto knife to slice the trace at two places and then use the tip to remove the unwanted section.

This is vero board we're talking about here not advanced PCB construction.

If you're talking about 'stripboard', either a 'stripboard cutter', specifically for the task - which is just a 4/5mm drill bit with a plastic handle. OR..a disposable craft knife thats had its tip snapped off ... not purposefully done for the task, I'm just a but heavy handed with em for other jobs.

The latter is used to cut 'between holes' when one needs to add double row headers or something. The sharp flat edge always makes an excellent scorer. Other option would be the back of the knife.

If you're talking about 'stripboard', either a 'stripboard cutter', specifically for the task - which is just a 4/5mm drill bit with a plastic handle. OR..a disposable craft knife thats had its tip snapped off ... not purposefully done for the task, I'm just a but heavy handed with em for other jobs.

The latter is used to cut 'between holes' when one needs to add double row headers or something. The sharp flat edge always makes an excellent scorer. Other option would be the back of the knife.

Stripboard and Veroboard are the same thing AFAIK. No etching materials etc. needed...

Nice for simple prototypes or simple hobby stuff or simple one of a kind creations...not a good idea for anything that requires any sort of PCB layout planning...

And that covers everything beyond a basic PSU to RF..:p

Have yet to see a RF design based on Vero or Strip board :eek:

Cheers

Have yet to see a RF design based on Vero or Strip board :eek:

You've not looked very hard then :D

Check out Audioguru's many, many posts of his improved VHF transmitter on stripboard.

It's not like a breadboard (which is useless for radio), a little thought, removal of all unwanted strips, and it's fine for RF, even at VHF.

You've not looked very hard then :D

Check out Audioguru's many, many posts of his improved VHF transmitter on stripboard.

It's not like a breadboard (which is useless for radio), a little thought, removal of all unwanted strips, and it's fine for RF, even at VHF.

Now you see Nigel, I learned something today too. Thanks for pointing it out :eek:. I feel kinda uhm...stupid.

I am so involved with day to day repairs on sets,,,,I have very little time to focus on anything else.

I think I am getting more forgetful the older I get. I used to know this stuff...damn :(

Nice Forum and thank's for pointing out my buggerup.

Cheers

Last edited:
I am not sure this is quite on topic but someone mentioned markers.

I use small enough syringe that can fit between my fingertips and my palm. (so I can push plunger with my palm)
Then I put broken off needle on it and fill it with nail polish.
I etch with HCl+H2O2.
Later I remove nail polish with nitro solvent.

I don't get the complexity of etching veroboard, simple mechanical removal is so much faster and less messy. If you're going to go to that extent you should probably be making your own custom PCB's using any of the various methods out there.

I don't get the complexity of etching veroboard, simple mechanical removal is so much faster and less messy. If you're going to go to that extent you should probably be making your own custom PCB's using any of the various methods out there.

You don't etch veroboard, I suspect people are replying who don't have the faintest idea what it is :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back