Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to convert log to linear voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjel

I am getting confused by the math and terminology on this:

I have a VCA chip (THAT 2162) that has exponential gain control. This means that linear changes of voltage result in exponential (dB) changes in volume.

This is great but I also want to be able to switch to a circuit that will allow me to linearly control the gain as well. So in this case, how do I process a linear control voltage so that it causes the exponential gain control to change linearly.

Do I need a log converter circuit?

or two pots, one with a linear taper, and the other with an "anti-log" taper (log taper mounted upside down???)

I should have been more specific that I want to control it with generated CV signals (it is for a modular synth so the source voltage might be an evelope, lfo etc.) not directly coupled to a pot.

It would be rather tricky to stably convert the log control to linear.

Easier would be to just use a linear gain control element, such as an analog multiplier. You run the audio to one input and apply the control voltage to the other. That gives a very linear control of the audio amplitude.

I found that the same company has an IC (THAT 4035) that has a built in RMS level detector. Apparently I can route my CV through this to get linear control of the amp gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back