Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build a sock warmer from an electric heating pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geospar

Does anyone know how to build a heated sock from an old electric heating pad? My problem is my feet are always cold and with a trip to Alaska coming up I can't seem to find heated socks that are warm enough.

I would like it to be 110 + degrees F, run off of a battery pack and last for at least a few hours.

Questions:
What is the length of heating elemement from the heating pad to be used?
What type and number of batteries to be used for this?
Any way to simply regulate the temperature?

You would need a wheeled cart to tote the batteries. The resistance wire used in a mains powered heating pad has too little resistance per length to work. The commercial electrically heated socks that run on small batteries use a thin, higher resistance wire but are little more than a novelty device as they don't heat for long and use batteries fast.

Chemical heat packs are more reliable, safe and economical but have you considered niacin, exercise and good insulated boots?

If you want an electric solution that works, take a look at some of the products developed for motorcyclists and snowmobilers. Some have the option of a portable battery pack.

**broken link removed**

http://www.valkyrieriders.com/socal/Heated Clothing/electriclothing.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back