Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to activate 12V/2A electromagnet with 5V (USB power) each 60 minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
once again, thank you all very much for kind support (especially calculations).
I agree..will need to experiment with capacitors.
May I please ask three more questions:
  1. where to place currency limiter resistor (in front of step-up converter, or after converter)?
  2. If I place it as resistor R2 on attached picture, (after converter), it will slow down charging of capacitor? finalCircuit2.png
  3. Should I charge capacitor to higher voltage and to use step-down converter for the solenoid? stepUp_StepDown.png
Thank you,
Alan

once again, thank you all very much for kind support (especially calculations).
I agree..will need to experiment with capacitors.
May I please ask three more questions:
  1. where to place currency limiter resistor (in front of step-up converter, or after converter)?
  2. If I place it as resistor R2 on attached picture, (after converter), it will slow down charging of capacitor? View attachment 104942
  3. Should I charge capacitor to higher voltage and to use step-down converter for the solenoid? View attachment 104943
Thank you,
Alan

1. input to step up. (ps, I changed my mind, see post #24)
2. who cares? You have an hour to charge it...
3. I think you will find that a capacitor charged to 25 to 35V will work best. No need for a current limiter or step-down converter; just the NFET as shown before. The capacitor will begin re-charging after the timer turns the NFET off.

Last edited:
12V*2A*200ms = 4.8J (watt-seconds) where you want the voltage to remain constant within say 5% for this duration.

If the load current was constant 2A a droop of 5% voltage from ESR implies cap or battery ESR must be 5% of load or 5% * 12V/2A=300 mΩ or RC value must be <10% of T=60% decay thus RC<10% of 100ms or C=10ms / 6Ω >= 1.67mF

I would use this criteria for defining the worst case storage ESR & C values but target for a much better values.

Size may not be an indicator of cost but rather lower ESR*C product results. e.g. $1 1"D 10mF https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/epcos-tdk/B41231B5109M/495-6158-ND/3493557

Current limiting must be considered in the boost converter so as not to fault the USB port voltage, which can be achieved in many ways including a large series R considering the length of time between discharges.

Here is what I would do:
38b.png

Use one of these to boost USB 5V to 28V.

Put a 2.2K 1/2W resistor between the converter and the 10,000uF 35V capacitor.

Use a NFET to switch the solenoid. Vds > 50V. Id >5A, Vth<=2V (logic level).

Any Si rectifier as a snubber.

This shows that the capacitor re-charges in about 100s. Only 12.5mA is drawn from the boost converter. That means the USB 5V current is less than 100mA.

Here is the solenoid current:

38d.png

All good advice. All I'll add is to make sure the boost converter is adjustable so you can fine tune the voltage.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back