Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How many Girls / Women participate in this site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandra

I was wondering... How many Girls / Women participate or belong to this site, besides me?

I would like to get an idea of how many of us there are and what prompted you to get in to electronics.

I will inlude my answers next to each question.

1) Is this a hobby or profession?
Hobby
2) If profession, what is your area of expertise?
It's not longer my profession.
3) If only a hobby, what area(s) of electronics interest you most?
I want to learn how to design.
4) Who or What influenced your decision to get involved with electronics?
I was in a band and we needed a lighting show so I went to school to learn how to build it.
5) Have you built any projects from scratch of your own design?
Yes, a full 20 can lighting console and stage tressle system.
6) What were some of your most enjoyable projects, kits or your own design?
I never really got into kits or much designing back then. I just repaired then sold items I would find in the junk.
7) What Man or Woman do you most admire from within the world of electronics / electrical ?
T. A. Edison & Nikola Tesla
8) What is your favorite Quote of all times?
I have a few I enjoy. (No specific order)
* Why do humans constantly need to distract themselves from lifes deeper concerns?
* Ignorance is a Choice!
* YOU have chosen to be where you are...!
* Misfortune courts stupid people!
* Never mistake a Failed Attempt as Failure!

9) Your brief history or your involvement in electronics.
I went to electronics school when I was 2o. I studied Tubes, Basics, Intermediate, advanced and digital electronics. I graduated with an associates degree.

I did repairs for Radio shack then I went with a high end audio store. After that I started a small "fix-it" business where I would go out on trash night and take all the electronic items I could find, I would fix them and sell them at a flea market.

I got out of the business all together after five years, then started a new business which I still do to this day, Victorian Home Restoration and Renovation. A Woman's Guide To Hiring A Contractor, Company Or Service Provider.

10) (Optional Q) What is your first name?
Alexandra

Alexandra
Pittsburgh, Pa.

Hi Alexandra,
Sometimes we are rude to girls because we are just a bunch of geeks.
So maybe your comments can get us back into line then we might be more polite.

Not too polite though. Girls don't seem to like that for some reason *scratches head*

I recall that we were joking about a Butterfly girl recently.

I think that 'Miss Butterfly' metamorphosed recently into a 'Venus Trap'

The posts for 'Flattening' were similar.

Last edited:
Not too polite though. Girls don't seem to like that for some reason *scratches head*

I don't think women have a problem with polite men, just pushovers and men who are too polite to be honest about what they really think.

I don't think women have a problem with polite men, just pushovers and men who are too polite to be honest about what they really think.

I think that a lot of women have trouble telling the difference. But I do understand the having a problem with people who are too polite to be honest about what they really think. I seem to run into girls who are like that far too often.

Last edited:
I was wondering... How many Girls / Women participate or belong to this site, besides me?
My honest opinion, I'd say a little over one. But if it makes you feel more at home, there are lot of guys here who are barely men.

What is a "barely man"? It reminds me of the recent topic where Michael Jackson was mentioned. He is/was barely a man.

audioguru said:
What is a "barely man"?
It's unusual to use the indefinite article after a verb and before an adverb. Your final sentence above is more consistent with the canon. When used in the plural (as in my original context), articles are better left out altogether (e.g. "We, the people..." should have been written, "We people..." or even better, simply, "People of United States... " although its first sentence is the least problem with the U.S. constitution).

There are any number of factors constituting a man. Perhaps you and I can both agree: eloquence in writing is a unit by which we've measured men on this forum in the past. Here's another example to help you remember the proper use of "barely":
"Although audioguru has lived for many years in an English-speaking country, he barely grasps the finer details of English grammar."

Last edited:
Writing in as good English as you can is a good thing but I don't think it matters if you make the odd mistake every now and then. As long as the readers can understand what you're saying, then it doesn't really.

All the "real men" stuff is a load of childish rubbish and bravado. Seriously, if a man happens to be homosexual does that not make him a real man? As far as I'm concerned, if you have a penis and testicles then you're a real man being strong, dominant and having sex with women doesn't come into it.

I wrote "barely man" with wrong grammar on purpose.

There are many types of men. Tall, short, fat, thin, manly and wimpy.
Most men are agressive, strong, dominant and have sex with women as often as possible.
Many polite men are manly. A few "tough" swearing guys are wimps.

1) Is this a hobby or profession?
Hobby

2) If profession, what is your area of expertise?
Not my profession. (could have been but I never finished...)

3) If only a hobby, what area(s) of electronics interest you most?
To put it simply I love the idea of taking things that don't do anything on their own and making them into something more complex that does something (be that flash an LED or make sound.) I also really like building Radio circuits.

4) Who or What influenced your decision to get involved with electronics?
My older brother was given a Funway into Electronic Kit, which he didn't like and threw away but the same kit inspired me.

5) Have you built any projects from scratch of your own design?
Too many to count but mostly simple things, like amplifiers or radio circuits.

6) What were some of your most enjoyable projects, kits or your own design?
I would rather my own designs, they allow my to be more fluid in what I do.

7) What Man or Woman do you most admire from within the world of electronics / electrical ?
Tesla (I don't know some of the things it is said he invented sound cool.)

8) What is your favourite Quote of all times?
None I can repeat here.

9) Your brief history or your involvement in electronics.
Been working with electronics as a hobby for the last 22 years, fixed my first radio aged six then was working on fixing old televisions by the age of ten (Looking back my parents must have been dumb letting me do such a thing.)

Dawn.

Last edited:
Hi , (Alexandra) (Dawny) Welcome............... !:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back