Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you people do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean WonTon, right?;)

Marks256 said:
Holy crap! How did that get there? Maybe i am dyslexic? Wow, i think i meant to say "You don't say the phrase...".

Wise choice, it is getting ugly! :)

I see it got ugly :eek:

Actually, the word "Wont" means to have a habit or an established custom. Just go to Google and type in; "Define:Wont"

If your not ready for spending on components you can either strip down old equipment for parts (I did this for the first 6 years of my learning electronics) or you can simulate it till your comfortable to try it out for real, try this https://www.virtualbreadboard.com/ , i find it pretty good, not as good as ISIS or Electronics Workbench (Multisim) for simulation but its easy to use.
good luck.

RadioShack kits?

I don't know if they sell these things anymore, but back when I was a wee lad, my dad bought me a RadioShack "300-in-1" kit, where all the pieces had springs on them and you could connect wires between them. It came with a huge manual that showed a bunch (300!) of different circuits.

At the time, I was just fascinated that I could put them together the way I did. Later on though, reverse engineering them really helped to solidify my understanding of how they worked and how the principles could be applied to my own circuits.

/back on topic, thanks for the entertainment guys :)

If your not ready for spending on components you can either strip down old equipment for parts (I did this for the first 6 years of my learning electronics) or you can simulate it till your comfortable to try it out for real, try this https://www.virtualbreadboard.com/ , i find it pretty good, not as good as ISIS or Electronics Workbench (Multisim) for simulation but its easy to use.
good luck.

I strip down electronics all of the time. I get some interesting things too. Thanks for that link, i am downloading it now(virtualbreadboard).

I don't know if they sell these things anymore, but back when I was a wee lad, my dad bought me a RadioShack "300-in-1" kit, where all the pieces had springs on them and you could connect wires between them. It came with a huge manual that showed a bunch (300!) of different circuits.

At the time, I was just fascinated that I could put them together the way I did. Later on though, reverse engineering them really helped to solidify my understanding of how they worked and how the principles could be applied to my own circuits.

I actually own the 300 in 1 kit. Very useful. I got it for Christmas a few years ago. I have never finished the books that came with it though. I would like to finish the Analog book before school starts back up, that way i will know how to use a transistor(properly). Then, when i get time during school, i will work on the Digital Book.

I still have this Lafayette kit in my shop. My mother bought it for me many years ago when I showed interest in electronics. I spent many, many hours tinkering with it and it accompanied me to many places as a young boy. She supported my interest by getting me that experimenter's kit and a multiband Panasonic multiband radio which I still have and works well. An amazingly well made radio, chocked full of thick metal, stout switch assy'. etc.
**broken link removed****broken link removed**

Lafayette, Eico, Allied and Heathkit. They were excellent kits and I remember the ones I made.

I dunno about Eico stuff.... most of it was pretty lousy if you ask me. Then again as a budding electronics student, I had my share of use on Eico stuff soley because of money... the lack of it! I tried to buy Heath equip. as much as my wallet allowed me to. I used to love perusing through the Lafayette catalog when it came in the mail .... sat there and dreamed of owning many, many items in that book! Looking back now at it all makes me chuckle about it.

I have to agree that spelling is very important and does impact on your credibility with other engineers or professional people. I think it's much less important here on a forum, and I admit that I rarely check mine, but it's probably good practice to get used to writing properly so that it comes naturally when you need to.

There is a free tool that cures all of these problems though - google toolbar. There's a button on google tool bar called ABC Check, which checks all the spelling on your current web page. If you click it after you've typed out your post it'll go through and highlight all your spelling errors for you, giving you the option to substitute what you've written for the correct version. It's very good.

Brian

There is a free tool that cures all of these problems though - google toolbar. There's a button on google tool bar called ABC Check, which checks all the spelling on your current web page. If you click it after you've typed out your post it'll go through and highlight all your spelling errors for you, giving you the option to substitute what you've written for the correct version. It's very good.

That is what i use! :cool: Every computer i use that doesn't have a G-Bar, i will install it. It is so convenient to do a quick search, or correct spelling. I just downloaded the newest version the other day. Very customizable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back