Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you people do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
poopeater said:
Ron, I don't have anything under my saddle....poor spelling is simply one of my pet peeves.
I confess to being a compulsive proofreader. Spelling and grammatical errors jump out at me like a snake (or maybe I should say "similar to the manner in which a snake would" :)).
Nevertheless, I have come to realize that there are many intelligent, even brilliant, people in the world who are poor spellers. Spell checkers aren't just for idiots. I don't see the need for people here to run their posts through a spell checker before posting, unless they are REALLY bad, and there are some here who are, but I don't think Marks256 is in that category.

_nox_ said:
I've to agree with poopeater, absolutely. He's right in all points.
Even if you have extreamly good and complex ideas, you won't get the chance to tell them, because no one will listen to you. ( especially peer-review guys tend to abandon papers with non-acceptable spelling )

xaxaxa!
1. extremely

you got me ... ok but Ii'm not a native english speaker
Therefore I am allowed to have some tiny spelling mistakes...

1. I'm

I don't like the english language. Therefore I am allowed to have some tiny spelling mistakes... ;)

Last edited:
dam'it! you're right... this's a bit embarassing now
Shouldn't there be a space in between the "'" and the "i"? I think there is!

1. Dam' it!
2. Embarrassing (Two "r"'s)

hmmm how many languages do you speak?

Just the defective language "English". I am learning Spanish in school though.

Marks256 said:
Shouldn't there be a space in between the "'" and the "i"? I think there is!

1. Dam' it!

Yes and No. Although I've never seen the word 'damn' abbreviated, technically speaking, if you were to use an apostrophe to contract the words 'damn' and 'it', they would be combined into one word "dam'it".

However, this is essentially useless, as you are not actually writing less characters, thus rendering the contraction redundant.

You don't right the phrase "Damnit", do you? No. You would say it as follows; "Damn it". The actual definition of Damn, is "to doom to everlasting punishment"(according to my Webster's dictionary). So, in the same scene, you wouldn't say; "Doomit", you would say "Doom it". See?

Marks256 said:
You don't right the phrase "Damnit", do you? No. You would say it as follows; "Damn it". The actual definition of Damn, is "to doom to everlasting punishment"(according to my Webster's dictionary). So, in the same scene, you wouldn't say; "Doomit", you would say "Doom it". See?

No we don't. We usaually "left" it out in our sentence.

Damn it is the technically correct writing, but I do accept dammit! on occasion for to indicate the word was said very quickly and sharply.

Doomit!

I only a glanced at the last page of the thread.. So I missed the fun part.

Let me see.. I bunch of Engineers debating spelling and grammar?

I am out.

Holy crap! How did that get there? Maybe i am dyslexic? Wow, i think i meant to say "You don't say the phrase...".

I only a glanced at the last page of the thread.. So I missed the fun part.

Let me see.. I bunch of Engineers debating spelling and grammar?

I am out.

Wise choice, it is getting ugly! :)

It is good to keep the blood flowing once in a while. The Admin called, he wants his bandwidth back! I'm glad our distress has entertained you. We are here 'till Monday! :)

Ron H said:
I confess to being a compulsive proofreader. Spelling and grammatical errors jump out at me like a snake (or maybe I should say "similar to the manner in which a snake would" :)).
Nevertheless, I have come to realize that there are many intelligent, even brilliant, people in the world who are poor spellers. Spell checkers aren't just for idiots. I don't see the need for people here to run their posts through a spell checker before posting, unless they are REALLY bad, and there are some here who are, but I don't think Marks256 is in that category.
Mark's spelling is by far the worst I have ever seen. The way I look at it is this:

I'm not very good when it comes to spelling/grammar. If someone actually makes errors that someone like me can spot, then they must be some pretty big errors. There's no excuse for such poor spelling anywhere, informal message board or not.

poopeater said:
Mark's spelling is by far the worst I have ever seen. The way I look at it is this:

I'm not very good when it comes to spelling/grammar. If someone actually makes errors that someone like me can spot, then they must be some pretty big errors. There's no excuse for such poor spelling anywhere, informal message board or not.
Somehow you've missed Someone Electro's posts.
We cut him lots of slack, because English is not his native tongue, plus I think he's gotten better. I think he used to be just too lazy to proofread his messages before he posted them.

Post deleted by moderator!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marks256 said:
Ron H, that link doesn't go anywhere. Maybe it was outdated?
Apparently the search ID is a dynamic number.
Go to Someone Electro's post in this thread, click on his user name, and select "Find more posts by Someone Electro".

Someone Electro, I'm sorry (but not too sorry) to be using you as a bad example. As I said, I know (suspect, anyway) your native language is not English. Nevertheless, I think you could do better if you really cared.

Apparently the search ID is a dynamic number.

That makes sense.

I would like to apologise. I got a little carried away with that post that was deleted. It wont happen again. Sorry.

Learning,sources

However said:
yep so does mine!;i now have about eight times as many books on electronics as they do;decause i buy all theirs when they sell 'em off...:D the internet is very useful,but nothiing beats having a printed page in front of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back