Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do i open a HC49U crystal case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glyph

how do i open a crystal and still be able to use it outside of its case?

I read that the crystals with HC49U packages are resistance welded together.

This is a sort of curiousity question cause i want to experiment with the bare crystal for a project.

A Dremel tool and a very steady hand.

Crystal..gifThere appears to be a slight lip at the base that has been resistance welded. I would try metal snips or diagonal cutters to remove the lip and fracture the weld. Abrasive cuttoff will no doubt open it, but I would be concerned that vibration and contamination from sparks or abrasive dust might damage the crystal.

John

I had and may still have a large collection of older crystals in holders that can be opened easily. Some of my pals have lapped the crystals or marked on with graphite to alter the frequency. If you lived close by I'd give you some - if I still have them. They were given to me - in 6 to 8 mHz range.

I don't live close by but thanks for the offer.

i'll see if i can cut out the bottom with a dremel.

Five minutes work with a junior hacksaw and the case is open.
The hard parts are:
Holding the crystal firmly in a vice without crushing the can.
Making sure that the hacksaw does not pull the crystal out of the can and onto the floor. (As happened on my first attempt, smashing the quartz).

JimB

Attachments

• cut crystal.JPG
    cut crystal.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 200
wow, nice work!

ever try pulling a crystal out of a quartz cylinder? (the kind for wrist watch crystals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back