Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How Do I change the direction of an AC single phase motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eqbilly

apparently my Washing machine capacitor went bad and eventually the motor was burnt. after rewounding the motor and replacing the capaciotr with the same uF rating, i realised the motor runs in one direction only instead of reversing after a couple of turns. what changes the direction of the washing machine motor, could it be capacitor or a wiring in the motor windings. please help.

Billy

If the motor you have is like the motors I am familiar with you will see two connection points where the power comes in to the motor - along with the points where the power connects. You need to reverse the wires on those two connection points. That is why they are there. Hopefully there is a diagram on the motor.

Estevez, I think you missed the point. this is not a DC motor this a single phase AC motor for a washing machine. normally, the motor is to run a couple of times in one direction the change automatically to another.

Billy

it micht ba a DC motor and you might have a rectifier bridge. this way you can change. or maybe you have some problems with the circuit that drives the motor, so this might be the problem why it doesnt turn.

eqbilly said:
Estevez, I think you missed the point. this is not a DC motor this a single phase AC motor for a washing machine. normally, the motor is to run a couple of times in one direction the change automatically to another.

Billy
Normally, with an AC motor that has a capacitor, there are two windings. 1). A winding wired direct across the supply, and 2). a secondary winding that is wired in series with a capacitor across the supply.

The capacitor causes about a 90deg phase shift between the two windings. So depending which way round one winding is with respect to the other, determines which way the motor runs. To change direction, change over the terminals of *one* of the windings.

In the junction box for some AC motors are often 4 binding posts (for lack of a better term). Two of them are for power. The other two are points in the motor circuitry that are brought there and connected at that point. Switching the two wires around produces the change in direction. I've done it often and as I understand it, that is why the wires are tied at that point - so you can field wire the direction to suit the application. It may also be where one would connect a reversing switch but I've never had a need for that. I am sure that this doesn't apply to all motors but may apply in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back