Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Homework Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

opj10

So far I got R=666Ω but I am not sure if that's correct. The way I got this was from removing the 16V source and leaving the 24V and solved for R. Then I was going to solve for the currents.

I am going to do the same with the other voltage (removing the other source) except R because I already found it, I hope. Then find the currents for the 16V source.

But now I am just confused because I keep over thinking the problems.

Can someone guide me threw the right directions please.

I am not looking for anyone to solve this for me but just to guide me in the right direction.

Thanks
and yes this is my first time posting (newbie), don't be to harsh :)

If you would like to see how i got R ill post it as well

Attachments

• 20130626_001920.jpg
    20130626_001920.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 314
I'm not sure how you removed the 16V supply and solved for R..

You know that there's 8V at the central junction (24V supply less the 16V over the 1k resistor), so you can work out I1 immediately. You can also work out I1+I2 (the current through the 1k resistor).

You know that there's 8+16V across R, and that the difference between I1+I2 and I1 is I2. From that you can calculate the value of R.

Thanks you so much. This makes more sense then i was told to do. I was told to by a friend that I had to solve the circuit with one supply at a time which really confused me. Much appreciated.

I1=16v/1kΩ=16mA
8v+16v=24V across unknown resistor
8v/2k=4mA going down 2kΩ
16mA-4mA=12mA across unknown resistor
24V/12mA=2kΩ
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back