Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

homemade morse cw practice keyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
stevez said:
I would not agree that the emission classification would be the same though I make no claim to being an expert on emissions classifications. If I get time tonight I'll see if I can find the classification.

How could it be different?, it's simply an RF carrier on a specific frequency, it doesn't matter how it's generated - and you shouldn't be able to tell the difference at the receiver end (assuming the carrier is truely eliminated).

LOL...You are starting to go over my head a little bit..(just a little) Thanks for the information though, and BTW, it is H-E-A-T-H tech, not healthtech (honest mistake guys) ...LOL just like the old Heathkit radios, coincidence? Nah, my mother named me after an old American TV western show called "the Big Valley" with Lee Majors, who played Heath Barkley on the show. Maybe it was destiny that my second love (always second to my family) is electronics. LOL...BTW, Healthtech is not an approriate description of me, I weigh 225 lbs...not sure what in Kg,s...LOL

heathtech said:
LOL...BTW, Healthtech is not an approriate description of me, I weigh 225 lbs...not sure what in Kg,s...LOL

To be honest, I've never understood why the Americans give their weight in pounds?, in the UK we always give it in stones and pounds - so 225 pounds is 16 stone 1 pound. I had to use a calculator to have any idea what you weigh :lol:

Kilograms are no good to me either 8) I still buy meat by the pound, although in the UK everything is marked in kilograms asking for pounds in the shops isn't a problem!.

As for your weight?, I haven't weighed myself for a year or two, but I'm probably somewhere round there myself?.

I mention the emissions classification for healthtech's benefit - and do agree that the RF signal would be the same though I wonder if the bandwidth of the keyed transmission would be the same. I barely understand how one estimates the bandwidth for a traditional CW signal (related to keying rate). Again, worth mentioning so I don't lead healthtech too far off the path. They do ask this stuff on the exams!!

Seems like were all close to the same size. Do you think that Bob Dylan meant we all should weigh ourselves when he sang "Everybody must get stoned?" Those were confusing times.

stevez said:
I mention the emissions classification for healthtech's benefit - and do agree that the RF signal would be the same though I wonder if the bandwidth of the keyed transmission would be the same. I barely understand how one estimates the bandwidth for a traditional CW signal (related to keying rate). Again, worth mentioning so I don't lead healthtech too far off the path. They do ask this stuff on the exams!!

The bandwidth for CW is extremely low, the lowest of any transmission system - which is why it's the most efficient, and provides the greatest range. As you're only receiving a single frequency the bandwidth doesn't change at all, and receivers usually use very narrow filters for CW reception.

Seems like were all close to the same size. Do you think that Bob Dylan meant we all should weigh ourselves when he sang "Everybody must get stoned?" Those were confusing times.

I wouldn't know man! 8)

For healthtech's (and other prospective hams) benefit I'll go into a bit of detail on cw based on what I read. I stop short of using "based on what I know" simply because I barely understand it.

The bandwidth of a keyed CW signal is related to the rise time of the transmitted signal. I used keying rate previously to keep the discussion simple. A very fast rise time produces a hard sounding note - and can generate what are called "key clicks" because that's what they sound like. These "clicks" can occupy a lot of bandwidth. You can hear examples as you tune across the CW portion of the ham bands and you hear the distinctive pattern of clicks long before you tune to the actual carrier. The FCC specifically mentions clicks in the regulations. Clicks are less common in modern equipment though I understand some lines of ham radio equipment are known for hard keying and some modest click generation.

In simple CW transmitters the rise time of the transmitted signal is controlled or limited to prevent click generation. I know my old Heathkit HW-16 keyed the oscillator and the buffer amp that followed. The keying of the buffer amp was delayed by a slight amount which rounded the waveform slightly to prevent clicks. I am building a 1950's era CW transmitter and there is an RC combination on the keying circuit that can be tweaked to get the rise time in the right spot.

A1A is the classification for what I am calling a traditional CW. J1D or J2A seem to fit the single tone SSB transmission mode but I could be mistaken.

I would agree that some milliseconds after the transmitter is keyed "on" the resulting steady rf is exactly the same and occupies an equally small portion of the band.

Again, this trivial stuff is just that but an Extra Class amateur is expected to be familiar with this to a certain extent.

stevez said:
A1A is the classification for what I am calling a traditional CW. J1D or J2A seem to fit the single tone SSB transmission mode but I could be mistaken.

I can't comment on your classification letters, which may be different in the UK anyway? - but I took my RAE back in the 70's, and I can't remember classification letters from that far back :lol:

I took my exams in 1975, just after my daughter was born, but have been asked to teach the Extra Class review courses in the past few years - so I am forced to go back over the material I've long since forgotten. Now and then I'll take a bit of time to dig a little deeper - I've got a little more time now where I didn't in the past. Now and then I'll toss a question in here to help with the digging.

The emissions classifications references that I have are incredibly difficult to read but I was able to find some nice summaries on the web. I would like to think that we're using a more worldwide classification system but it might be foolish to assume that all of us are on the same system.

stevez said:
I've got a little more time now
More time to get stoned, man! 8)

Those were the days. I was lucky that all the hippies moved to the West when I moved to the East so I avoided getting too involved.
It was fun then but now with more wisdom I find that reality is much better than being stoned. I think I kept most brain cells.
What was I saying? He, he. :lol:

hi iam a advanced license ham iam always looking for morse software,i have a laptop and not very experienced with it yet iam interested in your software to see if it will work on my laptop i have a linein and mike input if you could tell me about where the web site is i could run it to see how it works only way ilearn stuff is to experiment .tnks tom the leatherman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back