Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Homemade portable floodlight help

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob

I built a flashlight of sorts designed off a YouTube video I found by “diy perks”
I brought it to a few abandoned sites to test it and it works great!

Recently though it has been acting weird it starts turning off and turning back on at different intervals. Usually on for 3 sec then off for 3

It’s a simple design, just a battery fed to a cheap boost converter with a variable resistor to determine brightness.
Any ideas on why this would be happening?
-Ben

Attachments

• F0F22383-6E5E-4824-BA3A-9E448171BE61.jpeg
    F0F22383-6E5E-4824-BA3A-9E448171BE61.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 205
  • BAFC3DFE-DEC0-4952-8E55-94C4EC934860.jpeg
    BAFC3DFE-DEC0-4952-8E55-94C4EC934860.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 219
  • 7445DBAE-F869-4C77-A3CA-C0F0676F65ED.jpeg
    7445DBAE-F869-4C77-A3CA-C0F0676F65ED.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 211
More details please.
- just a battery ???
- cheap boost converter ???
- variable resistor ???
- other ???

Yes, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, but without details, they're just pictures.

More details please.
- just a battery ???
- cheap boost converter ???
- variable resistor ???
- other ???

Yes, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, but without details, they're just pictures.
I know it’s very little info, I guess a better question would be if the battery is low does the boost converter have trouble maintaining the voltage needed and that’s why it flickers? It seems to do fine on a full charge now.
would buying a cheap battery meter be worth the trouble?

OK, so it's unlikely to be a battery problem.
Is the variable resistor used directly in series at some point, or is it controlling the PSU output voltage?

When I asked for detail I was hoping for more technical info.'
- A schematic
- Ratings for all items used
- And, as rjenkinsgb asked, how are you using the variable resistor to control the brightness?

Likely the battery can no longer maintain the current needed (a boost converter draws a high current, relative to it's output). Also possible the boost converter is starting to fail (being cheap) if it's being run close to it's rating.

Post a schematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back