Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HIGH voltage capacitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishael

i need about a dozen or so 15 kV capicitors at various µF ratings. where can i find these?
ive checked digikey

Well you've not looked very had then:
EDIT: Digikey doesn't do linking to search results, here'#s a screen shot.

Digikey 15kV capacitors.png

Last edited:
Well that link doesn't work, but I doubt you'll find uF values at 15KV generally available (and pretty big if you can), it's usually only pF values that high a voltage.

Yes you're right, 1µF@15kV is 112.5J

To put that in to perspective, for a 15V capacitor to store that much energy, it'll need to be 1 Farad, which is huge.

1,000u @15v = 1u @ 15kV

Yes, you're right, it looks like I got a decimal point wrong.

EDIT:

Hang on a second no I was right, 1000µF@15V is only 112.5mJ.

Last edited:
Does it matter? - you don't really get uF values at 15KV - and assuming it's yet another post on the same subject as his others, he's only looking for 1000pF 15KV anyway - which Hero999's post above shows.

Check around for the high voltage power factor correction capacitors they use on the utility lines. Many of them are 15 KV AC rated so 15 KV Dc is no sweat for them and they have values from tenths of uf's to tens of uf's.
GE is one manufacture. Your local utility company can probably tell you where to buy them.

For an arm and a leg =P

Check around for the high voltage power factor correction capacitors they use on the utility lines. Many of them are 15 KV AC rated so 15 KV Dc is no sweat for them and they have values from tenths of uf's to tens of uf's.
GE is one manufacture. Your local utility company can probably tell you where to buy them.

Pity you didn't read my previous post! :p

On one of his other threads he posted a circuit with a Walton Cockcroft multiplier, that requires 1000pF 15KV - not uF at all - so it seems most likely that's what he's looking for.

Pity you didn't read my previous post! :p

I dont have time to cross check every single post for every single person. ;)

I only do it to the select few who cant get their own poop together about what they are talking about.:D

Being you are not one of them you dont get my closest scrutiny. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back