Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High speed mass storage for embedded video encoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesozoic

I'm researching what options I've got if I want to record video to some type of non-volatile memory at a rate of at least 10 MB/sec. It's going to be in a high vibration environment and we've already had SD cards pop out of their receptacles, so looking for something more permanent. The size of the memory needs to be reasonably large as well, at least 10GB. Anyone have any suggestions on alternatives to SD cards? What's the state of the art at this time in terms of high speed massive storage for embedded systems?

I don't know what you are capable of doing.

The flash memory on SD cards can be soldered to the CPU board.
I think your problem is the connector not the SD card.

need more information

I don't know what you are capable of doing.

The flash memory on SD cards can be soldered to the CPU board.
I think your problem is the connector not the SD card.

need more information
Ditto... Inside the SD card there is just flash ram..... I would write a full 4bit SD card interface to get the speed up... Daniel Wood ( a forum member ) has a really good camera that records to SD card... They heat up pretty fast so you need to cool it some how.....

EDIT... You can get much better sceptically that help keep the card cool and secured...

Last edited:
There are flash chip ready to be soldered on a PCB. There are also modules like satadom modules that can be screwed to the board and will withstand vibrations.

Thank you all. I like the vibration resistant SD card reader as that is definitely the cheapest method to add bulk storage to the PCB. I'm not familiar with satadom modules, but will research them.

It is basically a SATA flash drive meant to be fastened by screws to the motherboard, not so cheap, but have large capacity and better reliability than an SD.

Fast, cheap, reliable - choose any two. For our MIL-rugged recorders we use solid state SATA drives.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back