Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

number-g

hi,
i have an idea for a project to control a circuit with a serial port but i need some pointers on how to actually make the circuit i need.

i am completely new to circuit design but i have a [very] rough knowledge of how it works.

basically, i want 6 solenoids, and to be able to turn them on/off in any combination using a standard pc serial port.

as i said, im completely new to this, but as far as i can guess, what i want to do is going to be similar to bit encoding, except physically. i understand that it could be done by varying a current, and that current being reisisted/let through at different levels to activate different parts of the circuit. but thats about as far as i got before realising i had no idea how to do it :)

any help and information would be much appreciated.
-g

well, the easiest way to control 6 relays is to use the paralel port.
you can control them with the serial, but you need much more complicated circuitry. for 3 relays, it is easy with the serial, but gets very complicated with more.
i suggest u use the printer(parallel) port. it is much easier to interface, and easier to program.
for the parallel port this is a good place to start: http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/parallel_output.html

thanks for the info

the thing is, my project is for use with a palm pda using a serial cable that plugs into the palm and [hopefully] controls the device on the other end... theres no parallel port :)

so i'm still really looking for info on the serial side of things, even if it is more complicated

thanks again,
-g

number-g said:
thanks for the info

the thing is, my project is for use with a palm pda using a serial cable that plugs into the palm and [hopefully] controls the device on the other end... theres no parallel port :)

so i'm still really looking for info on the serial side of things, even if it is more complicated

thanks again,
-g

The easiest way is probably to use a PIC, one of my PIC tutorials does just that - but feeding LED's rather than relays. All you would need to change is to replace the LED's with driver transistors and relays.

A more complicated way would be to use a hardware UART, something like the HD6402, you can download the datasheet at https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/05/fn2956.pdf.

number-g said:
hi,
i have an idea for a project to control a circuit with a serial port but i need some pointers on how to actually make the circuit i need.

i am completely new to circuit design but i have a [very] rough knowledge of how it works.

basically, i want 6 solenoids, and to be able to turn them on/off in any combination using a standard pc serial port.

as i said, im completely new to this, but as far as i can guess, what i want to do is going to be similar to bit encoding, except physically. i understand that it could be done by varying a current, and that current being reisisted/let through at different levels to activate different parts of the circuit. but thats about as far as i got before realising i had no idea how to do it :)

any help and information would be much appreciated.
-g

from the serial port.
If you use a serial->parallel converter (shift register) you will be able to recreate a parallel datastream of bits to control yr 6 solenoids., although you will need a clk signal to sicronise - but ill leave the info up to you.

Parallel por thte easiest.
PIC also
but if you really have to use yr serial my method (with some tinkering) should do it

again, thanks for the input...

the thing with this project is [i should have stated this before i guess] that it means to be deliberately low-tech.

it's actually an art project, the idea is to use a digital [high-tech] device to run the most low-tech circuit possible to control the 6 solenoids. [and having thought of it more, a variable resistor too].
i've talked to a few friends on irc who keep telling me i'll end up using more compnents than necessary, etc, but thats kind of the idea...

i'll explain exactly what it is i mean to do so you can all have a good laugh:

i want to write a program for the palm that will control the said circuit [6 solenoids that can be on/off in any combination, and a variable resistor] to play a tin whistle [kind of s flutey musical instrument].

there are 6 holes on the whistle that need covering/uncovering, and i'll need to use an air pump to make it sound, the variable resistor changing the flow of the air and thus the pitch.

the whole concept of this project really is to use as little technology for the actual circuit as possible.

i think of it like symbolically using the computer to trace it's roots back or something
anyway...
hehe

any help appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back