Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hi & need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
eric,

I think it would be better to put multiple C3s and R1s all on the input of the analog switch with P1s and the sensors. Otherwise C3/R1 have to equilibrate with each new selection. Not having built this, I don't know if the time would or would not be significant.

Ken

eric,

I think it would be better to put multiple C3s and R1s all on the input of the analog switch with P1s and the sensors. Otherwise C3/R1 have to equilibrate with each new selection. Not having built this, I don't know if the time would or would not be significant.

Ken

hi Ken,

I have tried looking up the word equilibrate, I cant find it.:D
**broken link removed**

Its a good descriptive word and I'll use it often.:rolleyes:

You could be correct ref the C3, as we dont know the characteristics of the probes and soil.. I would try it without first, add if required.

hi Scott.

Do you need a circuit or can you go solo the rest of the way.?:)

BTW: Its an old English battle flag..

Last edited:
eric,

It has a nice feel rolling off the tongue. ;)

e·quil·i·brate (-kwl-brt)
v. e·quil·i·brat·ed, e·quil·i·brat·ing, e·quil·i·brates
v.intr.
To be in or bring about equilibrium.
v.tr.
To maintain in or bring into equilibrium.
e·quili·bration n.
e·quili·bra·tory (-br-tôr, -tr) adj.

hi Eric

yes please if you could , i still have a long way to go . are you a electronic engineer if i may ask ? i was blown away with the talk you and the others were saying , i can only wish i will have such knowledge in a year or ten :D

i was planning on using stainless steel rods but i have seen people use double sided copper pcb board , what do you think would be best ? will the ac power affect the plants ?
and one last question . years ago i got a book for my birthday called getting started in electronics by Forrest m mims , is this book still recommended or available ?

again thanks to all who took the time to reply and big thanks to Eric

Last edited:
hi Scott,
Look this over, lets know what you think.

Uses a HEF4066, HEF4017 and HEF4093 ic, plus the bits from the original dwg.

Its designed to step thru automatically or manual.

Its for 4, but can be extended to 8 with another HEF4066

Attachments

• Plants2.gif
    Plants2.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 259
smashing , thank you for your time and effort eric ...

quick question about the dwg , and please don't take offence . but it confuses me , i sort of see were the original circuit was/is but on the right towards the middle there are two (4093) were do they go in relation to the rest of the circuit ? ..

if i was to put your drawing in to a pcb program would it arrange the circuit for me ? and also would you have a component list for the new parts ? i feel bad asking you for more after you have done so much , but if you don't ask you don't get

smashing , thank you for your time and effort eric ...

quick question about the dwg , and please don't take offence . but it confuses me , i sort of see were the original circuit was/is but on the right towards the middle there are two (4093) were do they go in relation to the rest of the circuit ? ..

if i was to put your drawing in to a pcb program would it arrange the circuit for me ? and also would you have a component list for the new parts ? i feel bad asking you for more after you have done so much , but if you don't ask you don't get

hi,
The 'spare gates' of the 4093 are not used, so their inputs are tied low.

I dont have a parts list, the part values are marked on the dwg.
The ic's HEF4066, HEF4017 and HEF4093.
[these are CMOS, so make sure they dont get damaged by static electricity when handling]
Note: the one 4093 has 4 gates inside, 2 used, 2 not.

I dont use an auto router for converting circuits to pcb layouts, so I can't be sure about autorouting, which pcb layout program do you have.?

Wire the rest of the LM3914 and psu, as per the original circuit.

Use twisted wires [pair] for connecting from the pcb to the sensor probes, minimise electrical noise.

Last edited:
hi eric .. i use express pcb , i am at the moment trying to draw all the circuit by hand on the pc .. its not easy and is very time consuming , but its helping me learn and that is the important bit

hi eric .. i use express pcb , i am at the moment trying to draw all the circuit by hand on the pc .. its not easy and is very time consuming , but its helping me learn and that is the important bit

hi,
I use expresssch also, I'll post the original.

It will have a *.txt extension so that I can post it, you change it back to *.sch

its Plants2.sch

Attachments

• Plants2.txt
    29.2 KB · Views: 97
hi eric ..

i am so sorry to ask you this but i am having trouble joining the original circuit to your one , i know i would be taking the p1$$ asking you this but would you be able to join them together for me ?

i used the pcb program you use and its the first time i have used it , and i am a bit lost , if you cant i understand as you have done too much all ready .

lots of thanks

scott

Scott, you previously said you wanted 4 separate banks of LEDs. Have you dropped that requirement?

hi roff ..

it would have been nice but beggars can not be choosers , the circuit that Eric made switches between the four channels or i can cycle through them manually .

hi roff ..

it would have been nice but beggars can not be choosers , the circuit that Eric made switches between the four channels or i can cycle through them manually .
Perhaps Eric either misunderstood your wishes, or took off on a tangent that intrigued him.;)

Perhaps Eric either misunderstood your wishes, or took off on a tangent that intrigued him.;)

hi Ron,
I can honestly say I have never 'tanned a gent' in my life...:rolleyes:

Its just that my inbuilt reluctance to spend more money than necessary to do the same job, kicked it.

With the addition of another 4066 Scott can scan 8 plants.

There are ways he could have an automatic warning if the pots are drying out.

Scott:

I would recommend that you 'prove' that the probe and psu method work before doing a pcb layout.
Look at this image

Do a quick bench test of a probe/psu.. no need for the LM3914, just the 100K and 10uF load and measure the voltage across the 100K with a DVM.

Attachments

• soil-moisture-tester2.jpg
    soil-moisture-tester2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
hi Eric ..

no worries i will hopefully be ordering the parts tomorrow night (can you recommend a good online shop that's not to expensive in the uk ? ) . i have a dmm so will give you the readings asap

hi Eric ..

no worries i will hopefully be ordering the parts tomorrow night (can you recommend a good online shop that's not to expensive in the uk ? ) . i have a dmm so will give you the readings asap

hi,
If your order is > £20 then from Farnell Leeds, you can order on line, with free P&P.

also RapidElectronics, Maplins.

BTW: you could use your spare PC psu as the supply for the project and a small low cost mains to 6V transformer to give the 'ac' for the probes.
Lets know how the tests go.:)

hi Scott,
Which circuit are you going to build.????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back