Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help required urgently

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinc15

I am working on a second year product design project.

The project is a small vacuum cleaner,
The problem i'm having is finding new vacuum technology other than dyson.

Does anyone here know of any sort of micro-turbine or small electric motor
which would be good for a small handheld vacuum. Or any sort of guidance from you guys would be helpful.

Thanks, in advance.
your help would be much appreciated.

Explain the urgency and we will go from there.

the urgency is that i am designing a mobile vacuum cleaner, which is about the size of a tv remote control, the problem im facing is that the motors available are too big to fit in the specified space, i've been looking around a lot and can't seem to find a micro turbine - motor for a small vacuum cleaner. The only problem, im having is to find the right motor.
The vacuum doesn't need to be that powerful, it only needs to pick up bread crumbs etc.
This is a design project for university and its worth 30% of the degree.

i have looked into usb vacuum cleaners, but my project is supposed to be run by battery. and im sure the suction on the usb vacuum cleaners isn't that great. so i want something more powerful, maybe use two small motors, i mean that could be an option.

It's easy to adapt a USB vacuum cleaner to run on batteries.

You'll get almost non suction from something that small - just enough to pick up crumbs (which a USB vacuum cleaner should do).

Andrew

My electric RC airplanes and helicopter are propelled by tiny inexpensive motors that were designed to vibrate a cell phone or open and close the tray for a CD or DVD. My smallest motor is 6mm in diameter and its case is 14mm long. It runs from one 3.7V 120mAh Li-Po battery cell that is 33mm L x 11mm W x 5mmH and weighs 4 grams. At full speed and at full load it runs for about 10 minutes. Get them at a hobby store.

Thanks to all you guys. You are being so helpful to me and I appreciate that so much.
What do you guys think about using two motors to create more suction?

What do you guys think about the specs for this motor:

M.Motors Mini AC1215/16 Brushless Motor

Suitable for models of 300-480 size up to 850g in weight, electric helicopters and ducted fan aircraft.

300 size motor with neodym magnets and carbon case.

Specifications

Number of cells 6-8 RPM/Volt 3800
Maximum Efficiency Current 5-10 A (>70%)
Maximum Loading 18 A / 20 S
Internal Resistance 86 mOhm
Dimensions 22 x 47.5mm
Shaft Diameter 2.3mm
Weight 48g

I don't think it would be a great idea to put a turbocharger in a small vacuum cleaner, but every idea is a good idea. I appreciate it, it gives me more things to consider.

The motor you posted is more powerful than the motor in hand held vacuum cleaners the size of a loaf of bread.
You want to make a vacuum cleaner that is much, much smaller.

The motors I was talking about are used in model aircraft that weigh 30 times less.

the motor specs I posted are actually for electric helicopters and aircrafts but i'll look for less powerful motor thanks again.

Last edited:
This motor has 1.5 times the power of the smaller motor I talked about. It is 8mm in diameter and is 19mm long.

Attachments

• small motor.PNG
    small motor.PNG
    64.2 KB · Views: 201
thanks for the information, do you think, one of these motors will be enough to create good suction for the vacuum cleaner? and what kind of battery would be used with this motor?

Last edited:
The small motor in my helicopter blows the papers off a nearby table. A vacuum cleaner using it with a good blower will be able to suck dust and crumbs, not gravel.

how about using two of these motors, would you recommend it?

or more suitable, one motor with a large fan?

Last edited:
how about using two of these motors, would you recommend it??
This new little RC airplane uses two of the motors I posted. The motors turn in opposite directions to cancel torque.

I think a micro vacuum cleaner will be nearly useless.

Attachments

• DeHavilland Mosquito.JPG
    DeHavilland Mosquito.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 234
of course you will need to make a mini one custom for your design, but turbocharging will take all avail outflow power and feed it back to the input, this could help epically since you are only using the suction for a fraction of time, of course you will still need one of those little BLDC motors to power it,

also you may need to consider your dust chamber and how to mini-ize that...

heres another idea to boost it a bit........

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6306352/James-Dysons-latest-invention-bladeless-fan.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back