Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help:Phase Measurement Procedure for DUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oluvision

I need a explaination/schematics of how to measure the phase angle between the V and I of a DUT over a long range of frequency.

I am trying to construct a Vector Impedance Meter for my Senior Design Project. I am stuck on how to measure the phase angle. I try reading a couple of journals, but they never explain how to measure the phase angle.

I thot I already answered this. Put a resistor in series to measure the current, use the voltage across the device as the other measurment. Square up the voltage signals, put them thru an XOR gate, voila! phase angle.

Thanks for your answer. But an XOR gates gives a standard pulse (Logic 0 or 1). How is the output going to reflect the phase angle, considering the standard pulse the XOR gates gives.

Phase angle measurement

The mark/space ratio of the output of th XOR gate is porportional to the phase angle.

Connect it to an averaging circuit to extract the average DC level (the average DC level is porportional to the phase angle).

I can send you a circuit tomorrow when I arrive home.

Len

Phase Detector

This is an extract from a circuit I designed for 50 Hz signals, so you may need to make some changes for your purpose.

Note that D4 prevents a reverse current into the meter.

Also note that the sign of the phase is not indicated. To detect the sign, a D Type bistable is required.

Len

Attachments

• Phase_detector.gif
    Phase_detector.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 239
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back